• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New AMD and Intel CPUs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jbell

the real xtremesys admin in exile
.Intel Corp. and Advanced Micro DevicesInc. today will begin selling the fastest models yet of their flagship processors, the electronic brians of personal computers.

Intel's new top Pentium 4 chips run at 2.2gigahertz and 2 gigahertz. AMD's latest the Athlon XP2000+, clocks in at 1.67 Ghz.

Despite the speed difference, AMD stats its Athlons are more effcient and perform better(ed. no kidding!) than faster Intel chips when it comes to running many of the most popular applications.

But Intel's new chips are the first built using a new process that allows smaller transistors and other features, including doubled on-chip memory and a 30 percent reduction in overall processor size.

That means the chips have a performance boost of roughly 10 percent, in addition to the boost that comes from increased processor speed, said Louis Burns, general manager of Intel's Desktop Platform Group.

Analysts also expect the new process technology to help Intel meet demand for the Pentium 4 as well as impr5oveprofit margins by increasing the number of chips produced from each silicon wafer.

The 2.2Ghz P4 will cost $562 each when purchased in volumes of 1,000. The new 2Ghz is priced at $364 when in volumes of 1,000. The AthlonXP 2000+ costs about $339.

My opinion Intel STILL is not doing enough to meet the ability of the AthlonXP

Joe

*note* all info was recieved and confirmed from local newspaper. The Arizona Republic.

:D Don't mean to burst 'ur bubble.....but I knew this last week.
Hope you didn't type toooo long making this post.:p

:burn:

This release should drop the prices of their predecessor's by about 20% shortly after the release to distribution. Looking forward to getting my hands on the XP 2000+

what I personally have my eye on is the 2.0A Northwood. In a few months from now once the 2.4 P4s are out and the Northwood is on a new stepping, I hope that the 2.0A will be able to hit 2.67ghz. And a 2.67 P4 would be pretty dang fast, I'm sure it would kick the crap out of my 1.35 Tbird and 550 Celeron. I'm also looking forward to the new Thoroughbred Athlons, hopefully those will be good overclockers just like the Northwood is shaping out to be. Basically it will come down to price for me, whichever is cheaper and faster and overclocks well will go in my next rig.

WarriorII said:
:D Don't mean to burst 'ur bubble.....but I knew this last week.
Hope you didn't type toooo long making this post.:p

:burn:

Nope not at all ... but a lot of people here don't know ... thought it was worthwhile!

Joe

jbell said:
.Intel Corp. and Advanced Micro DevicesInc. today will begin selling the fastest models yet of their flagship processors, the electronic brians of personal computers.

*note* all info was recieved and confirmed from local newspaper. The Arizona Republic.

Was the typo their's too or yours? Or are they really making electronic Brians now? ;)

I've seen benchmark tests that put Intel slightly ahead on performance but considering the current motherboards for the P4 are locked at 100MHz FSB and when the new chip come out at 133MHz then a new mobo will have to be bought to take advantage and the new RIMMs are also going to be expensive then it seems that Intel it a big NO NO. Sure Intel are using the 0.13 process that will see the P4 pass 3GHz but we don't want to know what the performance will be, we want performance now. When AMD perfect the 0.13 process AMD will kick arse.

Re: Re: New AMD and Intel CPUs

eobard said:

Was the typo their's too or yours? Or are they really making electronic Brians now? ;)

the entire post was verbatum ... The only parts of my own thought were noted as such - I don't steal credit - for inteligence or stupidity... nor do I modify to sound better or worse...

Joe

Re: Re: Re: New AMD and Intel CPUs

jbell said:

the entire post was verbatum ... The only parts of my own thought were noted as such - I don't steal credit - for inteligence or stupidity... nor do I modify to sound better or worse...

Joe

Ok, but I'm still a bit confused, are they or are they not making electronic Brians now?? And where can I get one and how much? :beer:

Re: Re: Re: Re: New AMD and Intel CPUs

eobard said:

Ok, but I'm still a bit confused, are they or are they not making electronic Brians now?? And where can I get one and how much? :beer:

well if you gotta ask then you can't have one LOL

Hey, No Prob jbell.

I guess I'm a bigger NERD than I thought. :eek:

LMAO. Thanks for the info.
You see the article about Qwest in Sundays paper?
They are going to start giving out customer info to other companies. UNLESS you call the # and request the info not be given out.

I knew an Electronic Brian once..............ROTFLMAO!!!!

Back