• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Single3 9800gx2 vs 8800gt 512 SLI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Max0r

Is there any noticable performance difference in games? Supposedly the 8800gt SLI setup is faster, but only by a hair.

I'm not doubting you but 8800gt sli better than 9800X2? A 9800X2 is equivalent to 2 8800gts right? Of course I'm assuming temperature is not an issue.

Frankly, with the new 4850s coming out, I don't see a reason to get the 9800GX2 esp with a X48/45 intel chipset! Of course this is a nv thread, so I'll stay mum

Yeah, gotta watch out for the nVidia fanboys, they're a little coocoo :screwy:

:D

Oh please. You guys just can't resist commenting :rolleyes: Here, I'll answer the OP's question.

9800GX2 is significantly faster than 8800GT SLI. It's roughly on par with 8800GTS SLI, and much faster than ATI's top card, the 4870 and only costs $100 more. Best single card you can buy right now.

Yeah, gotta watch out for the nVidia fanboys, they're a little coocoo :screwy:

:D

LOL i think that should read ATI fanboys are a lil coocoo... every time i make an apearance in the ati section its like ATI PWNZORS :p

anyways its sort of a tossup... the 9800gx2 is technically better but i think you could oc the 8800gt sli setup more so IMO its sort of a wash

IMO wait for GTX 280 and 260 prices to come down a lil then look round.

You mean it's not just me?

I swear they have rabies or something in there.. :)

That's only because 90% of your posts in the ATI forum have SOME sort of ATI bashing or "I love Nvidia" connotation to them. You outright said the 9800GTX+ destroys ALL ATI CARDS OF THE UNIVERSE before it was even released in the 4850 thread. Not to mention an OC'd 4850 STILL beats it. :screwy:

That's only because 90% of your posts in the ATI forum have SOME sort of ATI bashing or "I love Nvidia" connotation to them. You outright said the 9800GTX+ destroys ALL ATI CARDS OF THE UNIVERSE before it was even released in the 4850 thread. Not to mention an OC'd 4850 STILL beats it. :screwy:

SOME sort of fair comparison you mean :)

I only said 9800GTX+ beats a 4850, which it does. Didn't say anything about the 4870 or any other cards. And a GTX+ will be OCable as well.

Guys, keep it on topic please. Hearing you guys bicker back and forth is starting to get quite annoying.

OP: The GX2 should be a little faster, but you lose some headroom to the heat output. You can also save money since you don't need a SLi motherboard, so that could be quite a big plus.

OP: The GX2 should be a little faster, but you lose some headroom to the heat output. You can also save money since you don't need a SLi motherboard, so that could be quite a big plus.

GX2 isn't limited by heat ;)

edit: Well maybe if you voltmod it..

That I did not know...I swear I heard it was limited by that >.>

:shrug:

I don't think any of the G92 cards are heat limited as far as OCing, as long as you turn the fan up, you'll hit a clock wall long before a temperature one.

Oh please. You guys just can't resist commenting :rolleyes: Here, I'll answer the OP's question.

9800GX2 is significantly faster than 8800GT SLI. It's roughly on par with 8800GTS SLI, and much faster than ATI's top card, the 4870 and only costs $100 more. Best single card you can buy right now.

Isn't that what I said, asside from 4870 vs 9800GX2?

AND! I said temps isn't an issue so the 9800gx2 will be on par with the 8800gts sli even after oc... Do you guys ever read? In my past experience, higher clocks at higher temps is slower than lower clocks at lower temps so I don't know.

In my first post, I've already covered what you're bickering about. So close this thread or something.

Now i have a question, since you are buying a intel chipset, what is wrong with cf? Does 2 4850 beat a 9800X2?

If you already have an 8800GT and a SLI mainboard, get a second, otherwise get a 4870/9800GX2.

Overclocking the 8800GTs helps it get ahead of the 9800GX2 by a noticeable amount too.

GT's don't clock as high as GX2/GTS's b/c they don't have as high of a vcore. So, w/ the GX2/GTS's having higher OC's, and more SP's they will win in any battle vs. GT's.

Back