• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A-Data Vitesta 2 GB 800 MHz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NewbieOneKenobi

Has anyone ever had a problem with these sticks? How far do they really overclock (other than the samples tested by reviewers)? Are they superior to, say, reliable GEILs that won't OC above 950 MHz but are very reliable and compatible? I'm asking because I still have a week to swap particular parts in my new computer.

do you have any other choices?if not i would probably stick with the set you have.the vitesta series are a step up from the value line but a step below their performance line(extreme ed).unfortunately i have no idea what ics the vitesta 2gb modules run.

It says Extreme Edition (with a car racing flag logo) and Vitesta both (another logo). It seems to be the same brand which reviewers were able to run at 1200 Mhz with 2.4V.

However, I failed 3DMark06 the first time I ran 800 MHz CL4 with 2.1V.

So yeah, probably sticking with the GEIL was a better choice. I'm surprised, actually. Well, anyway, since I wouldn't have overclocked the GEIL that much, I guess even if I have to OC the Vitesta just a little instead of a great lot like I planned, I still won't feel so much difference. Just some disappointment since, after all, the GEIL was very compatible with my mobo. I can't return these A-DATAs become of the broken packaging. Patriots and GEILs were easily repackagable.

Edit: Just done more research. Turns out they mere nice D9 Micron chips first, but later they started using Promos and others. So it started as a great product, but later on the quality went down. Does this have to happen with every successful product that overclocks well? :(

Edit2: It even fails 3DMark06 at 858 Mhz with 2.1 or 2.2v. :(
Edit3: Strangely enough, it passed with 880 Mhz and 2.0v. Same result as with 800 Mhz and CL4 when it actually passed (second try). Same result as I remember from un-OC'ed CL5 GEILs.

Last edited:
thats the performance stuff then.im surpirised that they arent clocking well for you :( but like i said i have no idea what ics they run so i cant say how they respond to loose timings/voltage.the reason i asked if you had something else to choose from was if you can get ahold of some ocz,gskill or corsair,you can usually find out what ics they run and what kind of oc to expect out of them.those three are the only ones ive seen that will id specific modules for you.most manufacturers will give you the canned"we use the best ics we can get" response.

if youve got a 2x2gb set(looking at your sig) they arent the same modules as the 2x1gb sets.most high binned 1gb modules will oc much better than high binned 2gb modules.

unfortunately micron doesnt produce the killer d9gmh/gkx ics(strictly 1gb)they made back when the vitesta ee ran them.

The reason they aren't clocking well might be the fact I have a ton of strange settings I don't even understand in the BIOS of my Asus PQ5-E. It's like most of the traditional stuff is missing and there's a throng of AI (their kind of overclocking) related options.

I've also read that the later sticks are not the same as the earlier ones, as in Promos instead of Micron.

Next time I'm getting OCZ or Corsair and no experimenting.

I will see what I can with these sticks, though. It turns out the last OC I used went better with a lower voltage. I honestly have no idea, however, how these sticks are supposed to run at CL4 with 1.9V (as advertised) in my rig.

Well, so they worked for a while at 890 Mhz with 2.0V. Then, during a game, I saw "monitor going to sleep" and I heard a snoring sound from my computer. Just after that, on reset, memory test started and tortured the sticks until they became even hotter. No errors were found - mind you, just after a crash. But there's no way it could be anything else. Since the newer sticks of A-Data are Promos that can take 2.3v or more, I'll see if that works... But hey, they were supposed to be stable with CL4 at 1.9v. What are they thinking selling those sticks anyway? Wish I had kept the "simple" GEILs.

Edit: Guys, believe me or not, it actually passed the test at 1066 Mhz and 2.3v, looking more stable than with lower voltages and lower frequencies. Still the same overall score, though. The higher frequency and voltage I set, the bigger fps amplitudes and the more frequent dips, but no matter what, the score stays around 10640 in 3DMark06 (actually, it was a couple points higher without any OC). I'm nearly sure Windows works faster, for some reason, though... The sticks are so hot I don't expect this to last through a memory-intense Warcraft 3 map (some custom maps are good testers the way they load up on system power).

Last edited:
ive personally gone through 2 sets of 2x1gbs of that same mem and had terrible experience with both. in each set, 1 stick threw out errors and the one that actually ran fine never clocked better than 860 no matter what voltages and timings. so i just sent them both back and bought some mushkin that ive been rather satisfied with so far

Back