• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why doesn't file sharing ever just WORK?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Essenar

These stupid router companies are so obsessed with having security locked and tight that they don't even let the people who purchase them use their connections for themselves.

Okay I have a Belkin Mimo G router. I checked router settings, nothing on it about file sharing or anything. Turned on UPNP and NAT (I play Halo and other games online). My router has all its security and settings properly set, I ran the network set up wizard on my PC and my mom's laptop, ENABLED file sharing and named the network the same, and yet it still gives me an "Access Denied" error when I try to access her shared files.

This crap has been THIS retarded ever since Windows 98.

the home router doesnt usually (unless configured to) interfer with LAN traffic. The only kind of file sharing it would effect is like p2p stuff over the internet

That is a permissions error on the computer, not the router.. *sigh*

He's right.

If you can see the machine(s) on the network, it's not the router. If you (or your mom) as the shared folder(s) as write only for guest users, you can send things to that folder, but not see what's in the folder or transfer things out. You have to change the permission settings to allow a user at your level to read and write to the folder that is being shared to access or modify what it contains.

- Blackstar

I've never had issues with filesharing. Open firewal port->Right click on folder->enable filesharing->done.

Unless configured to, not many (if any) firewalls block OUTGOING connections originating from inside the FW.

i.e.

Pc1 > pc2 is not blocked if both are on the 192 address.
Pc3b > Pc1 as 3b is your neighbor and he is going through your router to access your files.

lol i said the same thing refering to the routers and the firewalls within them a few posts ago without the examples :beer:

When you share the file on PC 1, you must define who has access rights to it. If you do not define who has rights correctly, you will get the message you are getting.

I usually share the folder I want, then create a local account on that PC and assign rights for the share to it.

Then, when you try to access that share from PC2, it should ask you for a username and password, and you provide the username and password from the account you created on that PC. Its pretty simple that way.

File sharing works fine if you use it correctly. If you are trying to allow plain anonymous access so that you aren't asked for a username/password at all, make sure the share and the NTFS permissions are set to allow anonymous rights, and the security policy allows anonymous access to that share.

Back