• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Microsoft to stop selling WinXP on Monday

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
From what I see, the only little advantages Vista has over XP is
1. DirectX 10 (not really widely used yet)
2. Can manage more than 3.25GB RAM. (not really needed either...yet)

I am not even buying into the eye candy thing. I honestly do not think it looks better...just different.
The lowering PC performance thing alone makes many people don't want it. I actually hope Vista will soon become a WinME thing, and being replaced by something better ... soon.

From what I see, the only little advantages Vista has over XP is
1. DirectX 10 (not really widely used yet)
2. Can manage more than 3.25GB RAM. (not really needed either...yet)
XP 64bit can use more than that. I'm using it right now with 8GiB ;)

Title says

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080630/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_xp;_ylt=Avj25PNlvBMgU_5f_rHern.s0NUE

Forcing everyone to go Vista?

I wonder if later they might come up with a "better" idea = stop allowing WinXP to activate.

I can't find the article at the moment, but microsoft has stated that if it came down to the point where they shut their activation system down that they would issue a patch and disable xp activation all together.

That is the least of my worries when it comes to Microsoft.

I wasn't upset when they stopped selling DOS
I wasn't upset when they stopped selling Windows 3.1
I wasn't upset when they stopped selling Windows 95
I wasn't upset when they stopped selling Windows 98
I wasn't upset when they stopped selling Windows 98SE
I wasn't upset when they stopped selling Windows 2000
I'll not be upset when they stop selling Windows XP
I'll not be upset when they stop selling Windows Vista

Things change, most adapt. Those who don't sound the same refrain each time a new OS is released. I look forward to great entertainment from those who will bemoan the death of Windows LXXXVI and have such great sport tearing apart Windows LXXXVII.

I don't mind Vista, hell, I'm running it now. I didn't see much of a drop in performance when I switched. It runs the games I want sweet as, I don't have a creative card so I don't have to worry about all of that and everything seems to work... :)

100% agree with Hafa as well, it's bound to happen :)

I use XP pro on the gaming desktop, and Vista 32bit home premium on my work laptop. I like both. Once you get used to Vista, it works just fine (atleast for me). I am lazy and I don't see any compelling reason to upgrade to Vista for the desktop yet, so I am 'stuck' with XP on it, for now.

100% agree with hafa.

Agreed...

Looking forward to what Windows 7 has to offer myself now. Don't know if I'd get it right away like Vista if there is no major performance improvement but its not totally out of the question.

Say what? They stopped selling 98?! darn...

****, when did that happen? :D

My hope is that Windows 7 will be a from-scratch Windows, with legacy APIs running in emulation (akin to Apple's handling of OS 9 - > OS X—note, Apple has just recently stopped officially supporting the emulation of 9 apps in X with the Intel Macs—it only took nine years!), although I won't be holding my breath as such a project would take at least as long as Vista did to develop and would doubtless be subjected to Microsoft's own vitriolic brand of internal politics, fighting, and mismanagement that has *really* created the Beast we now call Windows. There's no lack of talent in developers. There's a real lack of talent and cluefulness in development management up there at One Microsoft Way.

At the risk of creating second-system effect, Microsoft should seriously consider splitting the Windows division again into two or more pieces. One piece would work maintenance and development of the current Win32/64 line, and another would bring us a completely new operating system—maybe something that we could all be proud to run, instead of swallowing it like we do now.

jjw0782 said:
Don't forget Vista 32 still sees less than 4gb installed.
So Vista can see more than 4gb....and can't use more than 4gb, basically the same as XP.

Duh, duh, duh, and more duh. If you're using a 32-bit Windows operating system, you can't see OR use more than ~3GB, unless said 32-bit operating system is a "Server" variant, with real PAE support. XP 64, Vista 64, and any Windows "Server" can use more than ~3GB.

Should I rush out and grab a copy of XPx64 or just grab s2k3x64 down the road?

Or should I just get s3k8x64 to avoid the Vista hardware DRM polling and still have the new Vista interface?

Or just keep building snappy core 2 quad machines using Vista and forgetaboutit?

Should I rush out and grab a copy of XPx64 or just grab s2k3x64 down the road?

Or should I just get s3k8x64 to avoid the Vista hardware DRM polling and still have the new Vista interface?

Or just keep building snappy core 2 quad machines using Vista and forgetaboutit?

Linux! Er.. i mean, Vistai s fine :D. No DRM problems yet.

Vistai s fine :D. No DRM problems yet.
Vista hasn't stopped me from ripping media to my hard drive and playing it but the continuous DRM polling does suck up some system resources that I'd rather it not.

I use Vista x64 and Office 2007 and it just drags when I launch Word or Excel etc. I tolerate it but I'd prefer not to have to. On a quad core machine with a Raptor hard drive, I'd think things could go much faster.

Back