• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SLI issues (again!)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dawgdoc

Im having some serious issues with SLI, and if I didnt set this up a short while ago with 100% same hardware Id swear something is dead. OS is XP Pro x64.

EVGA 750i FTW, X3220 G0, 2 X 1 GB Mushkin EP PC 8500, 2 X 8800 GTS G92 (both volt modded).

All water cooled. All tested on air on a bench station prior to installing all the water cooling components. SLI enabled on the first driver install with no problems.

Set up the rig. SLI was working fine. I started tweaking BIOS settings, Rivatuner settings, overclock on the CPU/GPU, etc....and somewhere along the way I "lost" SLI.....

Everytime I reinstall the drivers I do NOT get the SLI capable popup. Ive done every combination of Control panel remove programs/Drivercleaner pro/safe mode,/etc but its a no go. The first card works 100% fine with no issues. Both cards have normal volts and all Vmods appear to be functioning normally.

Here is what I feel the problem is......

XP x64 automatically installs a standard VGA driver for me every time I boot (EVEN IN SAFE MODE!!!????! WTF!??!!?). It doesnt ask me if I want to look for drivers myself, or automatically install, or anything like that. I do NOT get the screen flicker when the driver installs to recognize the GPU much less 2 flickers to recognize both GPUs.

How do I turn off the windows auto install drivers?

Ive reseated the SLI bridge to no avail. Ive checked to make sure both cards and power connectors are seated properly, Im going to pull both cards and completely reseat them later today, and last option before ripping the rig apart will be a clean OS install.

Help? PLEASE? Any ideas? Ive had an absolute horrific time with SLI and Im about ready to take a baseball bat to the entire rig which I know I will regret later.

Thx.

I've had the EXACT same issue when I had my SLi setup.

What I have found to work was to:

1) Startup with 1 card
2) Restart
3) Make sure it installed correctly and everything is functioning
4) Shutdown
5) Install second card and start up

I've had the EXACT same issue when I had my SLi setup.

What I have found to work was to:

1) Startup with 1 card
2) Restart
3) Make sure it installed correctly and everything is functioning
4) Shutdown
5) Install second card and start up

Thiddy to the rescue! :)

Thx for the input man.

Thats gonna be a PITA but Ill give it a go. Its allready all plumbed with FC block and there is like 1/8" tubing between the barbs in between the cards.

Ya gotta do what ya gotta do though.....Ill give it a try tonight once I return from work.

Anyone else have any other input on the situation? Ive got like 8-9 hours to field info and think about this until I retackle the problem later tonight.

Doc, when you uninstall drivers do you use Driver Cleaner Pro to remove all remains?

Ed I did everything EXACTLY as you detailed to me last time I had the issue.

Ctrl panel - remove Nvidia display.

Boot to safe mode, DC pro, reboot and install drivers.

Nada. Freakn OS keeps installing a standard VGA driver every time I reboot which I think, but am not sure is the problem

Thid, when you install your 2nd card I assume you remove all display drivers and then reinstall them?

You dont just put the 2nd card in the board and boot and it gives you SLI capable does it?

OK, do this, disable the cards in Device manager, boot up and see if you get the window that asks to install new hardware, if so point it to the nVidia drivers

OK, do this, disable the cards in Device manager, boot up and see if you get the window that asks to install new hardware, if so point it to the nVidia drivers

I only see 1 card in device manager.

You dont just put the 2nd card in the board and boot and it gives you SLI capable does it?
Once the drivers are installed with 1 card, I just drop the second one in (not while its running :D) and I get the SLi prompt :)

Then that is a hardware issue and not a driver one, if you move the VGA connector to the 2nd card do you get video feed back to the LCD when you boot up?

Personally I think your 750i is the problem, not the cards or drivers

Last edited:

this might mean one of your cards failed.

i would pull the second GPU and try each one at a time. make sure they both work alone.

if device manager only sees one card, your motherboard couold be failing or one of the GPUs could be dead.

^&%#@(#%@*$#@*&%#!!@#$@$%#%

Reseated card #2 and still 1 card in device manager.

I quit.

After I figure out whats working and what not Im beating whatever is broken with a baseball bat (FOR REAL) and selling the rest of this POS SLI setup.

Ive had it. 3 months in the works and I still dont have SLI. I still am frustrated. Screw this nonsense Ill get a 55nm GTX 280 in Sept and just use what I have until then.

and what not Im beating whatever is broken with a baseball bat (FOR REAL) and selling the rest of this POS SLI setup.
That is exactly what I went through when I had my setup. Non stop issues :(

^&%#@(#%@*$#@*&%#!!@#$@$%#%

Reseated card #2 and still 1 card in device manager.

I quit.

After I figure out whats working and what not Im beating whatever is broken with a baseball bat (FOR REAL) and selling the rest of this POS SLI setup.

Ive had it. 3 months in the works and I still dont have SLI. I still am frustrated. Screw this nonsense Ill get a 55nm GTX 280 in Sept and just use what I have until then.

It is the board, not the card, did you try putting the VGA cable to the 2nd card?

I havnt done anything else. I went to work.

My eyes have rolled back in my head at the moment and Im seeing red.

If I touch this computer right now Im likely to toss it down the stairs.

I did not put the DVI adaptor/monitor cable in the 2nd card yet, but I cant see how that will work since it not even recognized in device manager?

Ill do that tonight, but if that doesnt work Im going to wait until I am calmer, rip the whole f'n water loop apart, reseat the GPUs with air coolers, and test each card individually.

SOMETHING IS (for real) getting the baseball bat. Its the only thing that will quell my thirst for blood at this point.

Whatever is not working watch out.......whatever is working is likely going to end up on the FS thread so if you are interested in EK chipset waterblocks (680i-fet, 780i NB, EK FC8800 G92 nickel plated) or 8800 GTS G92s voltmodded by Jason or an 750i FTW keep your eyes peeled.

25 hours to mod the case and put the loop together the 1st time. No go. I had what appeared to be a dead card. Another 1 month on RMAs and newly ordered items. another week or 2 on getting the cards Vmodded. 1 frustrating week of a rebuild/etc, and now this nonsense.

I think im done with SLI for good, forever. Buggy *** bull**** just isnt worth my time.

You replaced as what appeared to be a dead card initially, so my money is on that that board has a FUBAR'd 2ndary PCI-e slot.

Doc, you better calm down man, you might pop a vein in yer head before you even get home to take up the baseball bat :eek:

You replaced as what appeared to be a dead card initially, so my money is on that that board has a FUBAR'd 2ndary PCI-e slot.

i took it as he just re-seated it?

if it's dead, reseatings not going to do any good though. i still think he should pull it and test each card solo. i know it's a pain, but the board might not be bad .

Chin hes talking about my first encounter with SLI and this 750i about 2 months ago.

If the 2nd slot card is dead Im betting the board is fubared and screwing up the 2nd slot cards.

All speculation at this point though.

Back