• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OpenSuSE 11 review, not good,,,,

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I don't know, the review seams to confirm everything I've ever heard about SuSE. It has lots of features and flash, but lacks proper polish. He was rather thorough and his analysis seems objective.

Then again, I don't see any other reviews by this guy, so I'd wait till he established himself a track record before I started taking his reviews seriously.

Well that's OpenSuSe for you. They aren't going to make their free version immaculate, and its a brand new release .......so its not completely supported anyhow. This is bascially the same thing for any new Linux distribution.

Ubuntu has had tons of releases, yet they still don't support my laptop's sound or wifi without tinkering for hours.

Meh

I have consistently heard the same types of issues with Suse for years now. It consistently gets some of the worst reviews of any major distro out there. It amazes me there are any loyal Suse users really when there are so many other options. I think it will be eclipsed by Ubuntu, which is becoming more and more polished. Gentoo is in its own little world for people that like compiling their own software and having maximum control, but I don't see much room for Suse long term in a world with so many superior and more reliable "easy" Linux distros.

I don't think there's much difference, except that one comes in a pretty box and you get human beings to help you if you have problems. Suse in general is not one of the better distros, despite the money behind them (Novell). They are also pariahs in the free software movement for their "deal with the devil" regarding Linux, patents, and Microsoft, so most free software developers want them to fail.

I tried Opensuse 11 on 3 different machines, and so far it has stayed on my laptop...the compaq in my sig...I get over 5 hours of batter life with Opensuse. Compiz may not work, but 5 hours of batter life and 5 minutes of tinkering for wireless are golden for me on this machine.
I tried it on my work machine and one of my personal desktops and just wasn't pleased. ATi drivers are a big thumbs down on it, but I think the same is said about fedora atm. Also from what I've seen from a co-worker he can't mount our network shares in Opensuse.
On the otherhand Ubuntu works great for me at work, I had it up and running, network shares mounted, drivers installed, and my email setup in a little over an hour.
At home I run Fedora because it was the easiest distro for me to get my Spyder2 monitor calibration hardware to work with, and thats important to my digital photography.

I guess my point is this, all distros have their flaws, and some distros run better on one computer than others. For me, you can tell I have a big spread currently.
Take what I say with a grain-of-salt though..I'm still a Linux-nub in training.

Doesn't sound good in the review, but I've never had many problems with SuSE. I use Gentoo 95% of my time in Linux, yet I like SuSE. Always have. Yes, there are some interface bugs occasionally, but that can easily (and more than likely appropriately) be blamed on them often pushing the latest versions of software (such as KDE4). I've always used KDE with SuSE and have never noticed any glitches such as misplaced text labels like in the review picture. Have never had any dependency issues, and adding additional repositories is very easy. A lot of the bad reviews are from people with their heads up their collective *** who can't stand that an RPM distro could actually be good, and nitpick to death any "flaw" they can find that they would likely ignore in a DEB distro. Fanboyism at it's finest. I've used SuSE since 6.1, Debian since 3.1, and Gentoo since 2006.1. I like them all for different purposes. SuSE is a great desktop OS when you need a system up and running for somebody who doesn't know how to configure everything themselves, but likes a real control-panel (YaST) with lots of options. Debian is great for servers and machines that need to be running stable. Gentoo for my own machine where I can handle any breakages and configure everything I want without getting somebody angry at me if I break it :) The one time I used Ubuntu (and I'm not afraid to admit it was 2 major versions ago, unlike some people who like to bash 4-year old RPM distros), it was too easy, and wasn't customizable enough.

Anyway, anybody who has ever used (or read about) SuSE knows that .0 releases are pretty much public betas. Always wait for at least .1 or .2 if you want a stable polished system. That reviewer is rather blatantly biased against SuSE.

A lot of the bad reviews are from people with their heads up their collective *** who can't stand that an RPM distro could actually be good,

That's because an RPM based distro can't be good. =P

You're basically saying that people have an unfair bias against TV's that use vacuum tubes instead of transistors. =P

Funny how I've set up several home desktops with media players, media player plugins for browsers, games, etc., and a couple of server systems with RPM distros and never had problems. Funny how cPanel and Plesk use CentOS and not Debian...

DOS had far greater market share than Mac OS8, even though it was totally text based, topped out at 640k of RAM, had no multitasking capabilities, and fit on a floppy disk. That doesn't really prove anything except that people do not always choose the best products, and that corporations are often worst indicators. Hell, there are people stupid enough to use IIS for a webserver or program in visual basic. Freedom is great, and people should do what they like/enjoy, and if you want to use vacuum tubes instead of transistors, have fun.

Back