• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Strange XP issue...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MarkS

I just recently copied over the contents of my 100 GB drive to a new 650 GB drive. Everything went well and I didn't have to reinstall Windows. Thank God for that. Anyway, every time I start the computer, I get the option to choose between "Windows (default)" and "Windows (default)". :confused: I only have one version of Windows installed. Short of reformatting, how do I stop this? The 100 GB drive is no longer connected.

Last edited:
Check your boot.ini and what does that pic have to do with anything?

Doesn't do anything. :confused: The dialog box disappears and that's it. Something's wrong.

Last edited:
Trap05 was reffering to this image in your original post.

pic-1.jpg

Ah. Fixed. I posted this question on another forum and a smiley was copied from there. It looked fine on my end, but that is to be expected. Sorry for the confusion.

your boot.ini is on the active partition (wherever windows is installed on) its usually a hidden file just on the c:\ drive. you can open it with notepad preferably

to unhide a file (for any following this thread that doesnt know)

go to your explorer on the top menus go to Folder Options

1. Click the View tab.

2. Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.

and apply then ok. you should now be able to see the boot.ini in the c:\

you can post the contents here if you like and i(we) will walk you through it

your boot.ini is on the active partition (wherever windows is installed on) its usually a hidden file just on the c:\ drive. you can open it with notepad preferably

to unhide a file (for any following this thread that doesnt know)

go to your explorer on the top menus go to Folder Options

1. Click the View tab.

2. Under Hidden files and folders, click Show hidden files and folders.

and apply then ok. you should now be able to see the boot.ini in the c:\

or just type:
C:\boot.ini
in any windows explorer.
:eek:

Thanks. Got it fixed. It was missing a line that told Windows that it was Windows. Poor thing was simply confused.

Back