• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

8800 GT SLi very low 3dMark

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sygdom

Registered
I just got my computer and it has a 8800 GT SLi and I should be scoring about 11000 on 3Dmark but am scoring in the mid to upper 8000's. I have tried with each cards and each card gets a similar score. And once I enable SLi I get the same score. WOndering if any of you have had a similar problem. The tech support guy I talked to said he thinks I need to reinstall windows vista but I don't see how that could be the problem

I am not at my computer right now but from memory
8800 GT SLi
4 gb RAM
Core 2 Duo Processor and that's all I can remember for now more to come

so here are my specs
Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
4GB RAM
BIOS_Version1: 6.00 PG
Video_Caption: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT driver 175.19
Video_AdapterRAM: 512MB
250 GB harddrive

I am not real good with comptuers. But I have two graphics card with the SLi. So I think I have two 8800GTs with SLi

ok...

did you connect the cards with the SLI bridge? you can't just put both cards in, you need to connect them with the sli bridge

ya its enabled. Let me rephrase my question. I tested both my video cards without SLi enabled and got high 80003d marks. And then I enabled SLi and got the same 3D mark scores. and the fact that each of my video cards scored the same tells me that their not broken and that it is something else. Thanks for your help guys I really appreciate it

hmm, that is puzzling...

what version are you using for 3dmark? 3dmark06?

if you are using the free version, it requires you test at a relatively low resolution. at low resolutions, (< 1680 by 1050), you are putting much more stress on the CPU, and thus, are CPU limited. when you increase the resolution, more of the computing burden is handled by the cards, and that is where you are going to see the big increase. however, you shouldn't see exactly the same with sli...i think you should at least see some increase....

Ya its the free 3dmark06
ya that's what I was thinking too
but do you think I should try turning down the resolution.

turning down the resolution won't help anything. low resolutions are the ones that stress the cpu...only by cranking the resolution up do you start lifting the burden from the cpu and placing it on the graphics cards...

the important test is the games... have you noticed similar performance between the single card versus double card configuration in games?

I have been playing Age of Conan on High Resolution on it seems like its been running fine. Other people have told me they think that maybe the power cords aren't in place but I am pretty sure they are.

ya I just opened my computer and unplugged and replugged in my video cards and now every once and a while my computer will randomly shut down. I think my comp is majorly messed up. Do you think I should just return it. I mean its a brand new with Vista, NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT SLI 512mb, Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 4 gb of RAM. I mean should I just wipe it and return it to the manufacturer

is it a computer that you bought as a package from a manufacturer?

you didn't unplug and replug while the computer was running or powered, right?

Open it back up and reseat the two video cards. Make sure the power is completely in and then check the nvidia control center and enable sli. Also, download gpu-z (just google it) and when you open it up, it should tell you if you have sli enabled in a small window in the lower portion of the program.

Also, while you are in there, check your power supply unit and see if you can see what it is rated at. There should be a visable label on it. Tell us all what it says. I ask you to do this because you have a quad core cpu and 2 gpus that all crave power especially when they are under load. You might be starving your cards because with the rig in my sig, I get over 11k in 3dMark06 at its default settings (which is what the free version is set to) and you should get a hell of alot more especially if you have that quad core running.

Let us know what is up with the psu and what GPU-Z says and we will figure this all out for ya, or try to anyway.

My guess is you need to overclock that CPU.

These were my scores:
C2D E6550 @ 2.33GHz ~ 9k (single 8800GT) -- 10k (8800GT SLI)
Note that these are approximate scores so the jump wasn't 1k exactly.

E8400 @ 3.0Ghz ~ 15k (8800GT SLI) ...and overclocking it to 3.6Ghz im getting over 16.5k

It has to be either your PSU...or you need to overclock your CPU. Also what speed is your ram?

It has to be either your PSU...or you need to overclock your CPU. Also what speed is your ram?

He stated that he does not know much about computers, he might not know what speed it is at.

@op, download CPU-Z also (google it pls) and post screens of what the memory tabs and you GPU-Z screens so we can see what we are dealing with here please. thanks.

Also, I see you are using driver version 175.19, those drivers suck very badly. I use 175.16 and they are the best out there hands down for us 8800GT users. I would suggest downgrading to those drivers and you might very well see a big increase in scores just from that.

Back