• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PSU for Tri-Fire

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cheator

Hey guys.

I currently have an Antec TrueControl II 550w running in Optimus (in my sig). It's been doing a good job so far (actually heard bad things about it but never had an issue). However, now that I have a P45, I think its time to step it up a notch :).

I was looking at the OCZ GameXStream 700w PSU since its insanely cheap for 700w (and I like my StealthXStream 500w). However, I am worried about this PSU because its insanely cheap for 700w :). Reviews say its good, and I don't really see anything bad with it. Can anyone see any issue with this PSU? These are rebranded Seasonics, are they not?

As far as I can recall, the GameXStreams are FSP, which may or may not be based off the ripple ridden Epsilon platform.

Unless something has changed the Ocz Gamestreams are indeed FSP based on the Epsilon builds. I think the ripple problem really was only an issue when the units were pushed fairly hard, So I guess the determining factor may be how much headroom you would have with the 700 watt unit, Also that problem was recognized quite some time ago, So it may have been addressed, I don't honestly know if it has been though.

Unless something has changed the Ocz Gamestreams are indeed FSP based on the Epsilon builds. I think the ripple problem really was only an issue when the units were pushed fairly hard, So I guess the determining factor may be how much headroom you would have with the 700 watt unit, Also that problem was recognized quite some time ago, So it may have been addressed, I don't honestly know if it has been though.

Ah Dang. well i mean why would I buy a 700w PSU if i can't push it past 600w or so, you know? Ok, looks like its Corsair FTW :) thanks guys!

Well after doing some reading it seems FSP has indeed improved on the Epsilon series, The ripple problem seems to be fixed, More efficient as well, Now the real catch 22, Is OCZ using the new revisions. The test unit was actually a Supertalent 700 watt model based on the new Epsilon revision. So honestly I'm not sure.
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTUwMywxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Anyway, The Corsair 750tx is probably a safe bet, Or any of the other PSU's based on the same Channel Well platform, Xigmatek, Thermaltake Toughpower. The Xigmatek does have a lifetime warranty so that might tip the scale somewhat, However it is also a bit more expensive than the Corsair.

Well after doing some reading it seems FSP has indeed improved on the Epsilon series, The ripple problem seems to be fixed, More efficient as well, Now the real catch 22, Is OCZ using the new revisions. The test unit was actually a Supertalent 700 watt model based on the new Epsilon revision. So honestly I'm not sure.
http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTUwMywxLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

Anyway, The Corsair 750tx is probably a safe bet, Or any of the other PSU's based on the same Channel Well platform, Xigmatek, Thermaltake Toughpower. The Xigmatek does have a lifetime warranty so that might tip the scale somewhat, However it is also a bit more expensive than the Corsair.

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=26415&vpn=CMPSU-750TX&manufacture=CORSAIR

Yeah looking at the pricing, the corsair 750 is a safer choice anyway. Xigmatek PSUs don't seem to be carried by NCIX.. but I like corsair anyway, so its all good.

For Tri-Fire on the newer HD4xxx cards, I would not recommend anything below a good 700W unit. You may get by with a 600W Zippy but that is pushing it.

Back