• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TIM qeustion

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jaymz9350

what tim good is safe to put on the mosfets (I think that's what they are) on my ip35-pro. I'm getting ready to do the bolt thru on the heatpipe cooler on the board but i'm not sure what tim to use. I currently have as5 (which i don't think is goo for this) shin-etsu and what ever came with my TRUE.

You will probably want to use something that is not capacitive like arctic silver ceramique. Thermal tape is always an option but since it's a bolt through there is no need for something that is an adhesive. As long as it won't cause shorts then you should be fine.

You will probably want to use something that is not capacitive like arctic silver ceramique. Thermal tape is always an option but since it's a bolt through there is no need for something that is an adhesive. As long as it won't cause shorts then you should be fine.

ya i wouldnt use artic silver 5 as it is capacitative..... my vote would be Artic Silver Ceramique, its good stuff and you wont have any electrical problems .

yeah i know ceramic would be ideal here but i don't have any. I'm having trouble finding out if the shin-etsu i have would be safe.

According to googlefu your shin-etsu stuff is silicone based and non conductive. Its not metal based like the silver TIMS. Your good to go on it. Just follow standard practices using and applying it and you should be good to go.

Edit: I know this is common knowledge but often forgotten, silicon TIMS need a heavier break process then what silver based TIMS do. Silver based TIMS will be good to go with normal use after a few times as long as the computer is completl shut off between uses and has time to cool. Silicone on the other hand gets the best performance when you apply heavy load and heat for 45 min-1 hour intervals with time to cool thoroughly in between. It's best to do this 4-5 times then use under normal use with cool down times in between for a couple days.

Made a little mistake in my post with the grammer. It should have been:
You will probably wnat to use something that is not capacitive, like arctic ceramique.

Either way, I think you got the message

Made a little mistake in my post with the grammer. It should have been:
You will probably wnat to use something that is not capacitive, like arctic ceramique.

Either way, I think you got the message

yeah i got the point. And by the way, next time you make a post to correct your grammer you might want to try spell check lol.

Ok, ALL of the silver pastes are non conductive AFAIK. The thing is they are capacitive. However, this should not be a problem so long as you do not go john rambo all over the place with it and use it sparingly.

For my FETs I used a clean exact-o blade and trial + error to figure out the right amount of paste to put on the surface.

Back