• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hot-swapping satas

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
from what i can tell you have to have a chipset that will support such a procedure and though i have no experience with it it looks like the nf3/nf4 chipsets do in fact support this feature. again i have no experience with it and im sure you have to somehow unmount the drive before removal, how this is done in windows properly im not sure of either, but there are a lot of google hits that come up if you feel like digging through them.

having your hardware handy will more easily file down the results as well. unfortunatly thats all i can give you but i am interested to know how and for what hardware this works.

*edit* this was a fairly informative read, and highlights some of the dangers in doing it unproperly - http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/msg00150.html

Last edited:
Listed as compatible are silicon image controllers. I'm not sure what I have, but it's on an abit ic7-g motherboard, and it sure isn't anything on that list - actually, I have an intel ultra ata storage controller - not suprising since it's a board made for an intel cpu.

It isn't limited to SI controllers. Read the whole page. It works for me with my Intel ICH9R and my JMicron JMB363.

Listed as compatible are silicon image controllers. I'm not sure what I have, but it's on an abit ic7-g motherboard, and it sure isn't anything on that list - actually, I have an intel ultra ata storage controller - not suprising since it's a board made for an intel cpu.

if this is on an IC7-G there are 2 SATA controlers on that board... the native ICH5R southbridge (SATA1 and SATA2) and the silicon image chip (SATA3 and SATA4) i know for a FACT that the ICH5R does not support hotswapping and im pretty sure the silicon image chip does not support it either. Also i must say if you plan on running a raid 0 do so on the SATA1 and 2 ports off the ICH5R controler as the silicon image raid controler is HORRIBLE on that board.

if this is on an IC7-G there are 2 SATA controlers on that board... the native ICH5R southbridge (SATA1 and SATA2) and the silicon image chip (SATA3 and SATA4) i know for a FACT that the ICH5R does not support hotswapping and im pretty sure the silicon image chip does not support it either. Also i must say if you plan on running a raid 0 do so on the SATA1 and 2 ports off the ICH5R controler as the silicon image raid controler is HORRIBLE on that board.

Only 2 sata plugs on my IC7-G, as in, room for 2 SATA hard drives. I thought from the -G, it meant (without onboard LAN) - as I'd missed out on the IC7 with it onboard - was told to simply slap in a NIC, that's just fine and dandy, but hmm... audigy, capture card, IDE controller, NIC for DSL router, and the last PCI port blocked off by my geforce - some retailers think PCI slots grow on trees, and now I hear that these days, boards only come with 3! :confused:

Well, according to the manual on the abit web site, you should have a second controller and two more ports along one edge of the mobo between the PCI slots and the IDE connectors.

That much being said, I don't see any indication of exactly what the second controller is apart from it being made by SI. I do however see that your BIOS has a feature that is supposed to warn you when you disconnect a drive while it is running, although you did not mention getting the message that that is supposed to produce.

Even so, I would tend to think that if you did trigger an alarm in the BIOS, that would probably override any software that you could install.

Even so, I would tend to think that if you did trigger an alarm in the BIOS, that would probably override any software that you could install.

Not always. Some software can over ride the bios. A crude example would be windows time. When you reset the time in windows it also resets in the bios. A good majority of the windows driver level if I remember correctly takes over control of the system after the Bios hands over control to the kernel.

At any rate I didnt read through the links posted above but I dont think your bios always has to support hot swapping. I know my old nforce 3 board that Im using (asus k8n) can do hot swapping but has no mention of it in the bios. I would write how its done on my motherboard but I only have one sata drive and my OS is installed on it so I cant do it at the momet.

If someone is willing to send me a 2.5 sata adapter to borrow I can toy with it and write how its done on here with my laptop hard drive but you could just as easily read it somewhere else I would presume.

Back