• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I give up on vista 64

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

razorseal

man, I had to get bunch of new stuff to have 64 capability.... and now my printer won't work because minolta doesn't make drivers (64) for the 1350W....

UGH!!!

F this 1 gig of extra ram, looks like i'm going back to good 'ol XP 32

Using the drivers supplied by Windows Update, I assume you already tried disabling bi-directional support... under the "Ports" tab of the printer’s Properties window--> “USB001- Virtual Printer Port for USB”?

AFAIK there is no fix short of calling up Konica Minolta and telling them to get their asses writing a 64-bit driver. This isn't Vista's fault, this is Konica Minolta's fault.

AFAIK there is no fix short of calling up Konica Minolta and telling them to get their asses writing a 64-bit driver. This isn't Vista's fault, this is Konica Minolta's fault.

As a Minolta owner. Is is a dead brand. :( At least in the direct support stuff.

As a Minolta owner. Is is a dead brand. :( At least in the direct support stuff.

Well, HP doesn't support my old scanner, or my old camera and HP isn't dead at all. I have to dual boot and keep XP handy for some real work.

man, I had to get bunch of new stuff to have 64 capability.... and now my printer won't work because minolta doesn't make drivers (64) for the 1350W....

UGH!!!

F this 1 gig of extra ram, looks like i'm going back to good 'ol XP 32

It's to bad you weren't told that you'd have to make some hardware changes when switching.

Well, HP doesn't support my old scanner, or my old camera and HP isn't dead at all. I have to dual boot and keep XP handy for some real work.

HP is still very active yet, in all divisions. Konica-Minolta is dead. They sold off a large part of the optical division. I am/would be surprised to even see they have consumer printers made within the last 2 years..

Buy new printers, they are cheap.

With printers, you generally get what you pay for. Buy a POS $30 printer and it'll last a year at the most and cost tons in ink. It's cheaper overall to save and get a good quality laser printer that will last and not require $60 of ink every month, but a lot of us actually have to save money to spend on such stuff. Not everybody is a Brollocks who can afford two 4850s, a 4870, 9800GTX, and two 8800GTS in a month...

laser printers ain't so great for color photo's and such, unless you want to drop a crap load of cash..lol and $60 a month on ink, dam, what do you print..lol i print dvd's and photos and my inks last almost 2-3 months on an epson photo printer.

all I do is print documents and stuff...

Get a laser. I picket up a Brother HL-2040 for $60 from office max a couple years ago and I know it has saved me at least $500 in ink. I have refilled the toner once for ~$20-$25, bought the refill on ebay. Whenever the drum wears out I'll just buy whatever the replacement model is and continue on. Even if you print pictures you will likely be better off having a dedicated photo printer and a laser for documents. I just get my pictures printed at the kiosk at walmart. I don't think I have run across a set-up that can do much better than the 19 cents a picture they charge.

razorseal,

your problems are common, when I ran the Vista check compatibility proggie, there was only one item that came up bad, it was one of my printers (lexmark), but my old HP Deskjet 722c had 64 bit driver support and works great in Vista 64bit, go figure, that printer is ancient....heck, creative even just came out with new 64 bit drivers, i am back with my Audigy, nice, except no game port support, no big dealio...

what did the Vista compatibility tell you about your printer?, should have said something about that too...

64bit support overall is very slow, many manu's just seem to have no interest, maybe M$ and some of their policies have come back to bite their arse's,

it will change, but the older stuffs may never see 64 bit....unless someone takes up the challenge and does it themselves...

laterzzzz............

With printers, you generally get what you pay for. Buy a POS $30 printer and it'll last a year at the most and cost tons in ink. It's cheaper overall to save and get a good quality laser printer that will last and not require $60 of ink every month, but a lot of us actually have to save money to spend on such stuff. Not everybody is a Brollocks who can afford two 4850s, a 4870, 9800GTX, and two 8800GTS in a month...

QFT

Paid 110 for my laser printer in early 2004

Paid 60 dolalrs for an extra high capacity toner cartridge to replace the one that comes with the printer for when it ran out.

Figured 3000 pages on the stock cartridge Would not last long since i was printing binders full of computer manuals at the time.

Well im still on that starter cartidge 4 years later. But I only did a lot of printing hte first year. Now its more of a paypal shipping printer and occasional something for the kids to color printer.

By the time it runs out of ink I will be looking to get a color laser anyway LOL

(oh good use for old EDO ram? I upgraded the printer to 32MB, and print directly to printer)

Another aside, Brother really seems to stand behind their products, my printer had 64 bit and Vista drivers long before they were released.

Buy new printers, they are cheap.

not to start another flame war but why is it that the Pro-Vista people's solution to everything is just buy more/new of X I understand that at a certain point all hardware needs to be replaced. But the argument of just buy more ram, or a new scanner or new printer seems really silly to me. Unless you need Vista for something, I dont see it why you should have to buy new stuff to 'upgrade' to Vista to do the exact same thing

well if you already spent the money on vista... ? why not...

sure if you got your old disk then use your old OS... but you already spent the money on vista..

ideally, you should be checking everything first before you assume it will work.

not to start another flame war but why is it that the Pro-Vista people's solution to everything is just buy more/new of X I understand that at a certain point all hardware needs to be replaced. But the argument of just buy more ram, or a new scanner or new printer seems really silly to me. Unless you need Vista for something, I dont see it why you should have to buy new stuff to 'upgrade' to Vista to do the exact same thing

I agree to a point... it is not that you should need to buy new equipment. The thing is you should buy equipment from a reputable manufacturer in the first place.

MS is not to blame for a company not producing drivers for 5 year old equipment. As for HP and crew not having drivers for their new Vista PC's... there are XP drivers HP just does not list them. You have to do a little detective work and get the drivers from the OEMs. Realtek, Intel, DAAMIT etc..

If you are going to buy new hardware now... best bet is to look at a tech from the same HW manufacturer but is at least 5 years old. See if it has vista64 drivers. If not, then there is a good bet that you will have to wait when windows 7 is released for drivers or buy new hardware again. (EG.. Soundblaster Audigy 2 was released in 2003. just last month Creative put up Vista drivers. And they are BETA. The vista BETA was free to download for a few months before it was released 1.5 years ago.... )

Its been so long since XP was released that many people forget the nightmare that was.. .the enthusiast community cried that they would NEVER leave 98SE for their gaming PC lol

post-quote
Back to the kernel thing.
The newest for the OS I use does not work really good wit ha media player I have. It works in some way, just not I want. So I am waiting it out. Sticking with the last known good. In some cases it is not the maker of the kernel's fault. It is the hardware OEM.

If a OS seems laggy. Classic way to perk it up is to toss more RAM in it. This goes all the way back to the FAT kernels.

Excellent points

Last edited:
I am far from pro-Vista as you could expect of a Linux user. In turn, I do not hate on MS.

The thing is. Some drivers are just not around for some kernels. If you have to use a kernel, and have to have hardware work. You have to have to make a choice.

Wehn you buy a new computer and commit to it. The older hardware may not have the drivers for it. So you need ot make the choice how important that thing is to you.

Back to the kernel thing.
The newest for the OS I use does not work really good wit ha media player I have. It works in some way, just not I want. So I am waiting it out. Sticking with the last known good. In some cases it is not the maker of the kernel's fault. It is the hardware OEM.

If a OS seems laggy. Classic way to perk it up is to toss more RAM in it. This goes all the way back to the FAT kernels.

Now on the topic. K_M has been dead. So , IMO it might be a good idea to ditch them. I know the printer combo thingy I have. I got tired of it. If I have a need. I will instead of worrying about ink.. Just buy another disposable printer. Making the part, I have no need for, legacy to another. I would have to pay $45 for dinky ink refills. A (Walmart, it just prints) new printer is under $30 with tax.
There comes a time that a maker just abandons the buyer with no driver sets.

I agree to a point... it is not that you should need to buy new equipment. The thing is you should buy equipment from a reputable manufacturer in the first place.

MS is not to blame for a company not producing drivers for 5 year old equipment. As for HP and crew not having drivers for their new Vista PC's... there are XP drivers HP just does not list them. You have to do a little detective work and get the drivers from the OEMs. Realtek, Intel, DAAMIT etc..

i wasn't casting any blame. Simple statement of fact. Just as I don't blame linux for not supporting XYZ. It just doesn't make sense to me to move to a new OS for no real reason. When something doesn't work, particularly the Vista crowd's solution is just buy new hardware. (linux people may help you fight it out and scold you for not buying linux compliant hardware)

I suppose to be fair you can't do much with windows to get things to work if there arent any drivers. But still... no blame placing intended just that suggestion makes little sense to me when Vista offers no appreciable gain at this point in time

to quote a mac parody "ask not what vista can do for you but what you can BUY for vista"

Back