• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help with installing Accelero S1 Rev 2 on a 4850

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Janus67

Benching Team Leader
I just got my package for my S1 today and it was a pain in the *** to install the thing. I finally got all of the heatsinks on, they were sticking fine, but the voltage regulator piece won't fit on the 4850 without some modding, I was wary of that so I tried using the voltage bar on a bar of the ram and putting sinks on the voltage part.

Long story short the voltage piece was pressing against the heatsink, and some of the ramsinks were pressing against the heatpipes no matter which formation I put the mounting plate in.

Help!

Well I found this: http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...eon-hd4850-512mb-graphics-card-review-23.html

Seems that even though I just purchased the S1 from SVC, I received one that was made before May 2008 meaning that I got an older revision of the revision 2...

that explains those problems. I guess I will have to cut/break the current S1 Rev 2 sinks... or do you think I should return it and ask for a newer revision/model/batch of it?

Looks like the difference is the VRM heatsinks, they're important of course and it's good to see AC improving or updating them even though it didn't work out for you :( Too bad about that memory heatsink too, that's the kind of thing that's a PITA to find out after installing nearly everything. I'm glad I saw this before mounting mine, now I just have to figure out which old heatsink to hack up for the VRMs :p

good to know. I have both versions of the s1 and neither came with the newer pwm heatsinks. Although I dont really plan on using anything other then the s1 itself. Those ram sinks really sucked so horribly that when I installed them on my x1900xt I felt like throwing the card out the window.

The ram sinks stayed on there fine. I followed the instructions to clean them off, use an eraser, and then press them on (held them there for about 30 seconds a piece) and they didn't seem like they were coming off.

Looks like I will be calling SVC today to see what I can do.

good to know. I have both versions of the s1 and neither came with the newer pwm heatsinks. Although I dont really plan on using anything other then the s1 itself. Those ram sinks really sucked so horribly that when I installed them on my x1900xt I felt like throwing the card out the window.

What was so bad about the Ramsinks?

Whelp, just got off AIM support with SVC:

Mantle67 (1:42:53 PM): Hello, I have a question about an order that I made about a week ago. Order #1016537

Auto Response from SVCsupport (1:42:54 PM): I am currently away from the computer.

SVCsupport went away at 1:50:53 PM.
SVCsupport returned at 1:52:03 PM.
SVCsupport (1:59:11 PM): Go for it
SVCsupport (1:59:42 PM): I might not be the fastest responder today though, I apologize
Mantle67 (1:59:46 PM): The issue that I am having is that the model sent to me was an outdated version (produced prior to May 2008) and the version that I received does not fit my ATI 4850.
SVCsupport (1:59:47 PM): Shipper called in sick, filling both roles
Mantle67 (1:59:54 PM): No problem, take your time.
SVCsupport (2:01:11 PM): Hmm?
SVCsupport (2:01:14 PM): They have 2 different versions
SVCsupport (2:01:20 PM): http://www.svc.com/fan-acces2.html
SVCsupport (2:01:27 PM): and the one you ordered, http://www.svc.com/fan-acces1.html
SVCsupport (2:01:41 PM): Did you mean to purchase fan-acces2?
Mantle67 (2:02:23 PM): Sorry one second got a call in my office. Sorry about that.
Mantle67 (2:03:33 PM): I believe that the first one should be correct from the things that I have read. One second, let me see if I can find the page that I found that stated it was a date-issue.
Mantle67 (2:04:01 PM): http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/foru...eon-hd4850-512mb-graphics-card-review-23.html
SVCsupport (2:05:07 PM): Well, i'm not aware of any date issue.
SVCsupport (2:05:56 PM): But we cannot be held responsible for that. Customers must make sure that what they order will work with their componets.
SVCsupport (2:06:14 PM): I can offer you 100% credit back if you wish to RMA it back to us and order the correct version
Mantle67 (2:06:28 PM): The website for the card from arctic cooling states that it is compatible
Mantle67 (2:06:50 PM): One second, let me see if I can find the link for it from them.
SVCsupport (2:07:07 PM): It's impossible for us to keep up to date with these things.
Mantle67 (2:07:19 PM): http://www.arctic-cooling.com/vga2.php?idx=147
Mantle67 (2:08:04 PM): I understand that, it was just frustrating last night trying to install the piece of hardware that the website states is compatible, but after an hour of fiddling with it does not fit onto my card, leading me to putting the stock cooler back onto the video card.
SVCsupport (2:08:40 PM): I understand where you're comming from as well
SVCsupport (2:08:49 PM): But there really isn't anything we can do for you
SVCsupport (2:08:55 PM): I can waive our 20% return fee and give you 100% credit back
SVCsupport (2:08:59 PM): But I'm afraid that's it
Mantle67 (2:09:19 PM): I am not trying to put blame on SVC for the product that was sent for me. I need to read up and see if there is a way to check the date of production on the accelero s1
Mantle67 (2:09:43 PM): If it is possible, could I get that one shipped in replacement for the one that I have?
SVCsupport (2:09:58 PM): What do you mean exactly?
Mantle67 (2:10:18 PM): As from what the site says if it was produced after May 2008 it would fit properly, although the one I received seems to have "outdated" ramsinks in the packaging.
SVCsupport (2:10:33 PM): We wouldn't have any produced after may 2008
Mantle67 (2:10:34 PM): Although, stupidly enough, Arctic cooling decided not to release a new revision/version
SVCsupport (2:10:41 PM): We have 3 boxes of 80 that we orderd earlier this year.
Mantle67 (2:10:47 PM): Oh, okay.
Mantle67 (2:11:00 PM): Had no idea how often you would receive packages of these coolers.
Mantle67 (2:11:23 PM): That would be fine then, if possible to waive the restocking fee and the refund if that is all that can be done for my order. I would appreciate that very much.
Mantle67 (2:16:09 PM): What steps do you need me to take to move the process forward?
SVCsupport (2:16:48 PM): http://www.svc.com/rma.html
SVCsupport (2:16:51 PM): select Reason: Credit
SVCsupport (2:18:26 PM): In the Problem: just note that i'd said i'd waive the restocking fee
SVCsupport (2:18:31 PM): I don't think i'll have time to get to it today
SVCsupport (2:18:37 PM): But it'll be answered tomorrow for sure.

Guess I am getting a refund/waiving the restocking fee for the product, too bad they won't cover the shipping, oh well. Hmm, anyone know where I can get one that will actually fit? Sucks that they were one of the cheapest carriers of the product ($23)

ya svc is awesome ive never had a poblem with them at all and ive done a ton of local pickups.

as for the problem with the ram sinks if you look around you will find that I am not the only person who has a problem with them. Basically they dont stick to anything at all but dont fall off right away. They always fell off for me after putting on the cooler when im about to put it in the system. The ones that always fall off where the ones at add angles so I had to take forever to put them back on just to have them fall off again. I eventually got them all on but I dont think it was worth my time

LOL wow, i totally laughed when i saw this thread... i took a handsaw to the stock heatsink on the 4850 and jacked the voltage reg heatsink... Didn't even think that they might have released a newer version of it.. haha oh well- working good on my end 39c idle :)

That's nice of SVC to offer a full refund.

I don't normally say 'throw more money at it' as a solution but in this case it could be just as good an option. It almost seems like you could get a few ramsinks for the VRMs for around the cost of return shipping to RMA it, maybe from a place like Petrastechshop that offers USPS first class mail. A little filing or cutting of the Ramsinks that don't quite fit won't hurt anything either.

That's nice of SVC to offer a full refund.

I don't normally say 'throw more money at it' as a solution but in this case it could be just as good an option. It almost seems like you could get a few ramsinks for the VRMs for around the cost of return shipping to RMA it, maybe from a place like Petrastechshop that offers USPS first class mail. A little filing or cutting of the Ramsinks that don't quite fit won't hurt anything either.
That's true, although I did just get an email from them about the RMA saying "Products can only be returned if they are in an unused and resalable condition. All packaging, accessories, cables, manuals, etc. must be included. "

Must not have listened to me in my chat because I stated that I tried it and it didn't fit. What should I do here?

LOL wow, i totally laughed when i saw this thread... i took a handsaw to the stock heatsink on the 4850 and jacked the voltage reg heatsink... Didn't even think that they might have released a newer version of it.. haha oh well- working good on my end 39c idle :)

May I ask what you did with the stock 4850 heatsink?

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade!

I say you break out the hacksaw and dremel!

When god gives you lemons... find a new god!

I will probably end up trying to grind the things down if I talk to them and they say tha they won't take it after I have tried to attach it.

Back