• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Automated screen capturing (time interval) programs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ninety-9 SE-L

We have a large vacuum chamber that coats optics worth about $1/2mil per run. It's our newest and largest machine and being so, it's completely automated.

The on-screen GUI (touch interface) is simply a windows based software program, it displays (but doesn't necessarily log) all of the critical information we would ever need to see. Should the power go out (longer than the UPS can handle) or an alarm go off or something software-related were to crash the program, we need to know where we left off. We've had some times where the machine stopped in the middle of the run and we had no idea what step it was on.

Anyhow, I would like to add on a lightweight program that can take a screencap every 5 seconds or so during a run, possibly even compile the images into a video. I figure a 5 hour run would only consist of about 3600 frames, a lightly compressed video would be quite small considering all of the caps look similar, even so, we got HDD space to spare.

Additionally, it would be great if the program implemented a hot-key combination that could be activated and deactivated when the user starts/finishes the process.

I know I've probably described an easily searchable program, I'm sure there's also a lot of garbagr out there as well, so I thought I'd ask here first.

Last edited:
I use a program called snagit by Tech Smith and i am pretty sure it can do as you require. Adobe Captivate 3 also does this and has many more features but it costs a lot more.

Back