• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

IRQ conflict, laptop

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ardvahn

Registered
I've got a very old laptop, which recently has given me an error message when starting the computer:

Resource Conflict - PCI Network Controller
Bus:00, Device:0A, Function:00

Recource Conflict - PCI
Bus:0, Device:0A, Function:01

It's possible to skip the message by pressing escape, but in Windows (2000) the NIC doesn't work.
BIOS indicated that 4 PCI-card are given the same IRQ, but editing those IRQ addresses to separate ones doesn't solve the problem.

Anyone? How do I get my NIC working again?
Thanks in advance

Even my modern day 680i chip set MB shows multiple devices with the same IRQ. The problem with older machines like you described is when these devices try to access the CPU at the same time.

In the old days, it was a real task to keep each device separated with the more limited number of IRQs we had then.

One thing to try is to disable as many devices as you can. Sound, LPT, serial, modem, etc. If IRQ conflict is really your problem, turning off one of these will clear up the issue. Once you isolate your conflicting hardware, we may be able to move on from there with a more permanent solution.

Also, any specs and/or model numbers may help too.

Back