• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Upgraded to 64bit Vista now lower RAM score on WEI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JessFK

Hello,
I have an interesting dilemma. I recently upgraded to 64 bit vista to take full advantage of the 4G's of RAM that I have. My WEI score with 32 bit Vista was as follows.
Processor: 5.9
RAM: 5.9
Graphics: 5.9
Gaming Graphics: 5.9
Primary Hard Disk: 5.7

So my base being 5.7.

Now with 64bit vista it is.
Processor: 5.9
RAM: 5.3
Graphics: 5.9
Gaming Graphics: 5.9
Primary Hard Disk: 5.7

So the base being 5.3.

I didn't do any overclocking or make any changes in BIOS. I just formatted and installed 64bit vista.

I had just updated the score in 32 bit vista as well before the upgrade.

I figured the score would stay the same but I wanted to get the extra gig of RAM

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jesse K.

who cares, really, that score means NOTHING, remember, vista 64 can address ALOT more ram, so 4G is not allot for a 64bit O/S, also i think it relies on timings, so try to tighten them, see if it goes up

Can also be chipset related; have you updated your chipset drivers to the most current?

In reality, I agree with the poster above -- who really cares what the "Windows Experience Index" says? Other than the whole e-penis extension issue, I'd pretty much ignore it.

In the OPs defense, it can give an indication of a problem of some sort. If the score dropped by 0.7, I would consider that significant. Maybe Vista64 scores differently, but mine didn't change when I went to 64bit. Chipset drivers sound like a good place to start looking for inconsistencies.

So I was able to bring the score back to 5.9 by just clocking my RAM from 800mhz stock to 933mhz. But I noticed the timings that my motherboard chose went up from the standard
5-5-5-15 to 5-6-6-18. I really haven't played around with overclocking RAM much or even CPU's for that matter. I was able to put my Q6600 to 3.0ghz from 2.4 but that was a pretty simple task. So I'm wondering if I should try messing around with my timings and make them back to 5-5-5-15 or keep them as they are. Maybe I might move this to the Memory section. Unless it's not bothering you that I'm asking about memory over clocking in this section.

Thanks,

Jesse K.

OK, so a quick update. I did install some newer chipset drivers and put the clock speed on my ram back to 800 and ran the test again. It is at 5.9. I guess when I downloaded my 64 bit drivers I had my old windows set to Japan as the default region, so when I downloaded the 64 bit drivers, I got an international driver release. Which had some older versions of some drivers on it. So looks like that was the problem. Now I'll head to the memory OC section to check on the timings and stuff.

Thanks for the help.

Jesse K.

Back