• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finished first build: Have question

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

swedekid

Registered
Ok, I just finished my first build (except for the hdd cooler and video card which hasn't arrived yet) . But I switched the fans up on accident (2 120mm) . The one in the front is doing exhaust and the one in the back is doing intake. It was a ***** to get them in and to move the intake one I'd have to remove the cpu heatsink then put it back in which was even harder to get in fully. Is this a problem that I should correct? The one in the back is now blowing onto the northbridge and cpu which already has a fan. But the one in the front is doing exhaust right next to the hdd but if I'm using a hdd cooler do I really need the intake right next to the hdd?

Also when I was installing the heatsink that came with my motherboard for the northbridge it said something about brackets for a fan in the instructions. I looked everywhere and didn't see a fan so I assume it didn't come with one. Do I really need a fan for the northbridge (keep in mind I have the intake case fan blowing on that) .

Heres what I've got in it. http://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=8202412&WishListTitle=dfd2

I would remove the fans and flip 'em around if I were you. If you have a removable motherboard tray that would help enormously.

You shouldn't have a problem at all turning the rear fan around. It screws in from the back and you just slide it out. You really want the rear fan blowing out to exhaust the heat from the CPU and other heat producing things in that area. I have the same NB heatsink and mine didn't come with a fan holder either. The clever use of a couple of rubber bands or zipties is all you need to hold a 80mm fan to it securely. Is the fan necessary, well that depends on the airflow in your case and how much you're going to OC. In the end it's up to you but the way you have your case setup, airflow is going to suck and you'll most likely have temperature problems. It's worth it to spend the extra time to do it right. Your CPU and everything else will be much happier with nice clean cool air.

Axis

Also the instructions for the northbridge heatsink said you need to connect the fan to the cpu fan slot. But I already have the cpu fan in that slot. Do I just stick it in a regular fan slot when I get one?

Also the instructions for the northbridge heatsink said you need to connect the fan to the cpu fan slot. But I already have the cpu fan in that slot. Do I just stick it in a regular fan slot when I get one?

You can plug it into any unused fan slot on your motherboard or directly to the power supply. There should be a spot on your motherboard for a chipset cooler fan.

Axis

You can plug it into any unused fan slot on your motherboard or directly to the power supply. There should be a spot on your motherboard for a chipset cooler fan.

Axis

Don't have any fans that connect to motherboard. Only ones that connect to psu :( . Can I just connect it to psu and not the motherboard?

Back