• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Locked out of internet but no idea why...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
Last night my internet suddenly stopped working. First thing I did was to power cycle my DSL modem/router (has built in 4 Ethernet ports and 802.11g wireless)

No go.

I checked the other computer, they were able to get on without a problem.

I checked my PC for mangled setting but all seemed OK at a glance. ping command couldn't find the router so I replaced the network cable.

No go.

I tried roll back since XP update had just installed half an hour ago. Still no internet. I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the network drivers.

No go.

Started up in safe mode with network support.

Internet works.

Spent the next half hour trouble shooting by trial and error and I found by removing Zone Alarm, internet works again.

I checked ZA, it is not locking or blocking internet, the sofrware permission is valid, etc. So I suspected a borked file or configuration and used uninstall feature to remove it. Then searched through C: drive for remains (inside Documents and Settings too)

Then I downloaded the newest version of ZA and tried again.

Internet is locked out again. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Fresh copy, with no program permission set???

What am I missing?

I'm pretty sure I don't have malicious program on my PC. AVG 8.0 was running full time with occasional check by bother trend micro and panda online scans plus I also had older AVG Antispyware, S&D, and Ad-ware.

You could always drop ZA, it's a terrible program. AVG and the DSL modem should be plenty of protection unless you have something you need to hide... and at that point, ZA is one of the easiest to hack. :p

It has to be some sort of configuration set in the registry that wasn't removed or a conflict with another windows setting (such as the windows firewall interfering).

It's possible with all the excessive software (AVG, Spybot, ad-ware, online scans, zone alarm, AVG antispyware) doing the same things, you've created conflicts within the internet connection settings. I've seen this happen many times. You really only need Antivirus and Spybot, and maybe some kind of limited firewall if your antivirus doesn't already provide one. When you stack stack stack, it does more to slow you down and cause issues than it does to protect you.

From here I suggest a clean re-install of zone alarm one more time, make sure you don't have any resident programs running for antispyware or firewalls (spybot is plenty, and make sure windows firewall is disabled too on your network configuration) and try it again.

If that fails you can make sure all of your LSP's are fine with the Spybot program under Mode: Advanced. Then the tools button and Winsock LSPs. Everything should be green there.

If that all shows good and you still can't get online and you MUST use Zone Alarm, then a reformat shouldn't be too much trouble should it? Especially if a rollback didn't work for you.

I've been using ZA because in the past I was able to stop rogue program from reaching out. Many firewall program generally only blocks incoming transmission, not outgoing.

I could live without ZA for now. My copy of Windows XP is going 8 months since last clean install and is probably due anytime. ;) I reinstall when Windows blows up. It'd also be a good excuse to ditch the old 80GB drive as well.

I've been using ZA because in the past I was able to stop rogue program from reaching out. Many firewall program generally only blocks incoming transmission, not outgoing.

I could live without ZA for now. My copy of Windows XP is going 8 months since last clean install and is probably due anytime. ;) I reinstall when Windows blows up. It'd also be a good excuse to ditch the old 80GB drive as well.

i've heard that if you change you ZA setting to medium for the internet, it works, but i could be wrong. i didn't care to read into it any further as i do not use it.

*edit: 2nd post in the thread above:
http://www.ocforums.com/showpost.php?p=5706630&postcount=2

Just saw the new post, it slipped in when I was doing the last one. It does make since, as internet had "died" shortly after Microsoft patch came in.

I'll fire up ZA and set to medium and see if that "un-bricks"

Just saw the new post, it slipped in when I was doing the last one. It does make since, as internet had "died" shortly after Microsoft patch came in.

I'll fire up ZA and set to medium and see if that "un-bricks"

good deal :) let me know if it works.

Apparently a fix is been worked on for this, either by microsoft or zonealarm.

I use zonealarm for the same reason - to block programs from connecting to the internet, mainly itunes, their updates always seem to break something!

If anyone can suggest another firewall with this feature i would be very great full.

Back