• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

The massive all-encompassing OCF iPhone thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nightelph

All questions and discussions regarding iPhones, OSs should go here.

I bought a 16GB Black this morning.

My Impressions:

Backyard 3G speedtest, 4/5 bars: 624kbps

GPS integration into GMaps has great potential (and looks cool), but is limited: No turn by turn navigation, you must tap next. No real time data i.e. lat/lon position, speed, etc.

Location based social apps look extremely cool, as long as other people have the same app running on a gps-enabled phone.
Super-Monkey Ball, Bejeweled 2 and Cro-Mag Rally are VERY fun; only $9.99. I believe there are about 500 apps available (launch)via the store, %25 of which are free.

No Dock Included. No Cut/Copy/Paste. No landscape keyboard for SMS or Notes. Seriously Apple?

So lets hear it! Love it? hate it? What apps have you tried? Where do the rule? Where do they suck?

Anyone mess with Exchange yet?

BTW, I sold my old 8gb on ebay a week ago (unlocked) for $395.. It more than paid for the new one. Get rid of your old phone!

Last edited:
I've tried updating my firmware to 2.0 and am stuck at the Accessing iTunes Store since about 7:30 PST this morning. Doesn't seem to be getting any better.

I was getting the error about SSL 3.0 and TLS 1.0 needing to be enabled. A couple things about this to know if you're getting that error:

- You can find these settings in Control Panels > Internet Options under the Advanced tab
- iTunes will give you that error if both are active. If only one is active, you can bypass it. So uncheck either SSL 3.0 or TLS 1.0 and you should get past that error.

Nicely done Apple... nicely done...

You can get Version 2.0 (5A347) here. Mine came with 5A345.

Also, itunes would not recognize the new iTunes 7.7, I had to pull it from Apple's website.

----------------------------------

EnGadget's AppStore Hits and Misses

EnGadget's Full Review

Last edited:
ATT's Coverage Map: BLUE = 3G Data

att3gmed.gif

Looks like the biggest piece of coverage is Oahu!

Last edited:
So I waited in line this morning to get one but they were sold out!! :( If you're in the same boat as I am, the best thing you can do is go to an AT&T/Apple store and get one ordered for you. It'll take 7-10 days but it has your name on it so its guaranteed. Then you can stop by tomorrow morning (or Sunday or whenever) and try to get one. If you do, you just cancel your order. Hopefully I'll get one tomorrow. Guess I've gotta go earlier.

A lot of the complaints people have (ie. turn-by-turn, copy/paste, landscape keyboard, mms) are fortunately all software related. The device itself has the hardware to accommodate said features, so it could feasibly come out in an OS update. With that in mind, I'm not worried because I could get those features in the future with an update even if they come out with another iteration of the phone.

You can get Version 2.0 (5A347) here. Mine came with 5A345.

Also, itunes would not recognize the new iTunes 7.7, I had to pull it from Apple's website.

----------------------------------

EnGadget's AppStore Hits and Misses

EnGadget's Full Review

I have the 2.0 firmware on my first-gen iPhone, I'm just stuck in the same boat as all the other iPhone owners who can't validate their firmware 2.0 install via iTunes.

Very frustrating. Apple *should* have released 2.0 earlier this week to allow first-gen iPhone owners access to update their phones, thus lessening network traffic today when they were actually launching the new product.

/edit

A lot of the complaints people have (ie. turn-by-turn, copy/paste, landscape keyboard, mms) are fortunately all software related. The device itself has the hardware to accommodate said features, so it could feasibly come out in an OS update. With that in mind, I'm not worried because I could get those features in the future with an update even if they come out with another iteration of the phone.

Yep, that's frustrating to me too. These basic things shouldn't be very difficult to fix, and, from what I hear, the iPhone's API is fairly easy to develop against. There is no good reason not to support cut/copy/paste, landscape keypad and MMS. It's, yet again, very disappointing to me... also disappointing to me is that you have to learn Objective C to write iPhone apps. I heard that they were planning on supporting Java, but scrapped that... why not use a very established "real" programming language like Java? Makes no sense...

Today's theme for YD: Love the iPhone, yet VERY disappointed in Apple at the moment...

Last edited:
Update:

Got my first gen iPhone udpated to 2.0 firmware. My wife kept trying throughout the afternoon and got through finally around 2:30 PST. Initial thoughts:

- Phone Saber (Light Saber app for iPhone) is hilarious.
- MonkeyBall is a blast.
- Bloomberg is awesome.
- Outlook/Exchange push integration works beautifully so far. I need to enter my calendar entries in Outlook, though, before I sync my Outlook calendar at work with my iPhone calendar.

Still looking to get a few other apps:
- Midomi (Will id songs that your iPhone hears and give you song title/artist and provide a link to iTunes to buy it)
- Remote (Will allow you to control your iTunes library via bluetooth)

I had to set up my voicemail again..

Apparently there is an apple-made dock for the phone, but my local store didn't have one. They did have a line of two dozen people, though!

Did you upgrade from a first gen iPhone to the 2.0, nightelph?

A couple of my co-workers went to an apple store and the line was about 4 hrs, due to the activation issues they are/were having. They decided to come back w/o waiting, but one of them left work early (right after lunch lol)... said he might go back and wait in line for one.

I'll probably end up getting one, since my wife wants mine... and we can get the $200 deal for upgrading her ATT contract. It appears, we can just switch SIM cards once she gets the 3G phone activated. Definitely will be another few months before we do that, though.

I had a first gen yes, see opening post.
I camped out in a mall overnight, eighth in line. As the first ten of us walked in at 8am, all 40-50 iEmployees applauded. Felt like a high school graduation. :)
Whenever I went running or cycling I pulled my sim card and put it in an old razr. I think you shoud be set.. if you know your sim pin.

Last edited:
Just picked mine up this morning. Its pretty awesome! The novelty definitely wore off after about the first 5 seconds hehe. Its definitely a good buy though, the features are very useful

HELP!

My notes did not sync back. I found a python script to extract the data from the itunes backup files, but I don't have a mac. Anyone know how to do this?

The iPhone 3G has a bigger screen... Wink.

Okay, the resolution and dot-pitch haven't changed but the glass screen is bigger. I had a screen protector made for a 1st gen; when I layed it on to gauge fit, there was about 3/32 of an inch around the edge of the protector that was not covered. However the pixels lined up with the edge of the older screen protector. The protector that came with my new case fits perfectly.
:)

Also, the main speaker, secondary speaker and mic have metal mesh covers this time around.

^Anubis_386: I was definitely considering the Diamond Touch, let me know what you think of the GUI, my friend is interested.

Anyone having problems with the mail software and Gmail? I have a university email account that's run through Gmail. I set it up using IMAP and I get the messages fine. The problem is that when I refresh the inbox, new emails won't show up. When I refresh the all mail folder, the new emails show up there, and then in the inbox. Any thoughts?

^ Weird, I wish I could help you.

I was hoping that hotmail would have the same functionality that gmail does, but, alas it does not. Deleting a message via a web browser has no impact on my iPhone inbox. :(

Can we get speedtests from every one?

Can you believe Apple charges $20 for a f'ing usb cable?!?

Anyone having problems with the mail software and Gmail? I have a university email account that's run through Gmail. I set it up using IMAP and I get the messages fine. The problem is that when I refresh the inbox, new emails won't show up. When I refresh the all mail folder, the new emails show up there, and then in the inbox. Any thoughts?

Did you sync it up with Gmail at gmail.com? There was something I needed to enable in my account through the gmail website, if I remember correctly. It was a few months ago, so I'm not sure exactly what I did, but there are some settings that you may want to have a look at.

On another note: Anybody having issues with Bloomberg? If I try to add a stock to "My Stocks" it crashes the program, and on random occasions, just launching the program crashes my iPhone completely. Crashes, as in, the iPhone restarts itself. Wierd. I uninstalled it for now until Bloomberg releases a patch for it... it's a shame, really, it's a great financial program for the iPhone. You can really drill down to see some good in depth performance figures on your investments.

Did you sync it up with Gmail at gmail.com? There was something I needed to enable in my account through the gmail website, if I remember correctly. It was a few months ago, so I'm not sure exactly what I did, but there are some settings that you may want to have a look at.

I followed the instructions on Google's KB. I enabled IMAP and allowed the phone to download all the email headers. It just doesn't like grabbing new ones for some reason.

Can someone explain Push to me? I understand that data (new emails?) are sent instantly, is that the whole gist of it? I read that Yahoo is the only mail that will support it.. I don't use yahoo, should I disable it for battery life?

Screen captures can be taken by holding home, then pressing sleep. They're dropped in the camera roll.

Back