• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wow 750iFTW really sucks for OCing

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gigabit

I tore out my 750iFTW today to step up to the 780i.So i put in a P5K (Thanks Turkey4550)in to hold me over til the 780i gets back.Well i set the bios to 1.325v and 9x400.Thinking i was setting it for 3.2ghz but instead its at 3.6ghz.I forgot that i was only running 356x9 on the 750iFTW.Because anything over that and my system would act all funky. But it would do 4.0ghz but again not very stabel.Anyway 3.6ghz on the 750i took 1.4v or better to get stable but i never could get anything 100% stable.Well on this P5k its stable as a rock so far with the voltages that it toook me to run 3.2ghz on that dumb SLI board.I think im just gonna run one card on intel chipsets for now on.Nvidia makes crappy intel board.s.So i might sell the 780i when it gets here and sell the 260GTX also and get a 4870 and a P45 mobo.Another thing my Quad is running cooler at 3.6ghz on this board than it did on the 750 at 3.2ghz:bang head

I here that my quad is rock solid at 3.6ghz like its stock on a cheap P5K.On my 750i i thought it was gonna die.I think im gonna jump back on intel chipsets

yeah.. once i moved to an intel chipset, i dont think id look back to nvidia.. the only thing they really have to offer is sli.. but imo theres more to pc performance then just gpu powa :)

and now that ati is back in the game, you cant really go wrong with ati and intel :)

As I remember owning 750i it was a bad board. It would overclock higher than my broken intel board but it was not near intel's stability.

I'm glad I never got an NV mobo, they always seemed dodgy to me.

Just an FYI though, for single card performance P35 vs P45 is very close, within a few percent at most. I don't know that they oc any better, you'll have to check that out yourself, but for single graphics card setups P35 should be just as good as P45, the possible oc'ing part aside. You may be fine just keeping the P5K unless you can somehow trade it out without spending more.

my p5k deluxe holds its own pretty well against this board too. this board is better tho, of course.. especially with 4 dimms in use. i still <3 my p5k, it never gave me any troubles, and actually lasted a whole year between 425-475fsb with my quad 24/7.

what a trooper :)

and it still works!

Of course your experience with p5k will be better since board had little vdroop and vdrop. Funny p35 and p45 share same feature while x38 and 48 not.

Me thinks Nvidia boards do better with AMD chips than with Intel. When I had the A8N32SLI Deluxe and ran 2x 7800GTX's, it rocked no question. A solid and stable setup which never gave me any problems whatsoever.

I've been reading alot of the nvidia chipsets, ocing and sli problems with these boards. Hmm, I wonder why they're being plagued with problems like this now? You would think these board are matured and all the bugs worked out by this time. :shrug:

I have read many a horror story of SLI boards and feel very glad I went the way I did..super stable at high speed with this board and a single video card..

I like building a system and forgetting what the bios looks like.

ive never had a issue with either my 680i or 780i.theyve taken all my procs as far as they were capable of going(e6600x3,3070,q6600,q6700,e8400).not to mention the excellent memory ocing options.sounds like you got stuck with a dud Gig.

yea i did a build for my cuzin with a 750i FTW a month ago and had a hard time getting it stable...even if it was stable for a day or 2 it could fail the next even bumping up the voltage didnt help...and then backing down to 3.2 from 3.6 it wouldnt even boot...IMO very bad board for O/Cing, if your looking for stability and low voltage..

I have yet to use a quad in my 780i but with duals it has worked just great I have had it @ 520fsb .

ive never had a issue with either my 680i or 780i.theyve taken all my procs as far as they were capable of going(e6600x3,3070,q6600,q6700,e8400).not to mention the excellent memory ocing options.sounds like you got stuck with a dud Gig.

So did 95% of the user's out there who bought that board. Its like they made a couple of awsome ones to keep the hope alive.. But in the end, it was just junk.

I had a 680i A1 btw, worst intel board I have ever had the displeasure of owning.

oh ok, lol. I didn't quite understand the wording. I agree, I didn't care for the 680i I had. Actually the more I read about these Nvidia boards, the more I realize, I really don't want the new 780i anymore. I'd rather have a nice p35 or p45 for less price and more bang.

I deleted that post it was stupid..lol

oh ok, lol. I didn't quite understand the wording. I agree, I didn't care for the 680i I had. Actually the more I read about these Nvidia boards, the more I realize, I really don't want the new 780i anymore. I'd rather have a nice p35 or p45 for less price and more bang.

I agree with you but since i have a 780i and a 260GTX coming it would be stupid to sell them at a huge loose just get me a P45 board and 4870 like i was thinking about doing.But a few people kind of set me straight..lol Im just gonna grab a second 260GTX and maybe a third when i switch to Vista and a psu upgrade if need be

Back