• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

from 3870 to 4870 = lower score in 3dmark06 =(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wakoo

hi everyone,

I'm new to the overclocking and pretty much high end pc's. here is my problem, i had 2 3870's in crossfire and i got around 13400 in 3dmark06 now i just got a HIS 4870 and when i ran 3dmark06 i got 12300 =(

im using an ASUS M3A32-MVP mobo
HIS 4870
Phenom 9850
and ddr2 1066 RAM GSkill

first thing that's bothering me is that GPU-Z doesn't even say my PCI-E is 2.0, im not sure if that matters but i've seen some screenshots that say it and the other thing is that my mem looks like its not running like 1066. Here are some screenshots, if you guys need more tell me what to take and i'll post it. i would really love some feedback because i don't want to have to go back to the 3970's. although im not even sure if they are better than 1 single 4870.

gpuz.jpg

The 4870 blows away the CF'd 3870s, I would say you probably need to make sure your using the hotfix drivers or the beta 8.7s Your CPU is also holding back your score quite a bit.

Try the drivers, or do a clean install with new drivers as sometimes old drivers can cause major performance issues.

One other thing to remember is the 4870 is actually notorious for having better game performance than 3dmark performance. You may test it out and see how it runs in games...

:welcome: to OCF!

hi and thanks for the reply. i was just testing it on Age of Conan and infact i am getting 20 more fps ingame. ill try a fresh install later on but its weird how the score went down. i am using the hotfix drivers but i still get 12k in 3dmark. My cpu score was like 3300 =/

Trust me it's not a crappy card, just driver issues most likely. Games is where it counts unless your a bencher. I personally scored 17k with a single 4870 @ stock speeds on my Q6700 @ 3.6ghz.

I'm pretty sure that Mobo is not PCIe2.0.

And your RAM is running at DDR2-800 speeds. I don't know how AMD boards work. I know Intel won't let you go over 1:2 ratio...not sure about AMD.

You can probably tighten up the memory timings to 4-4-4-x, though. Make sure to give your RAM it's rated voltage first.

hi and thanks for the reply. i was just testing it on Age of Conan and infact i am getting 20 more fps ingame. ill try a fresh install later on but its weird how the score went down. i am using the hotfix drivers but i still get 12k in 3dmark. My cpu score was like 3300 =/

as many have stated, 3d06 is not an accurate measurement of the card's true power, it is purely for a benchmark result.. testing it out like u did on AoC will let you see what it's really capable of. :)

as for me, this single card is amazing, i could just barely break 8k on 3d06 with my SLI'd 7800gtxs, and now im around 11k :D :beer:

I have the same ram, and you can enable sli ready memory in BIOS if you have that option to get it to run full speed and set stuff automatically. Use 1.8V for 800Mhz speed and 2.1V for 1066Mhz.

As I've said before, I scored 500 points more in 3DMark06 compared to my 2900XT but this HD4870 is actually between 2x and 3x faster in games than my 2900XT. Its the best $299 I've ever spent on a computer component in my life. I have plans to buy another when I do a full system build.

NEVER use 3DMark06 as a judge of GPU performance. Its only meaningful use is for comparing CPUs.

Every time I see a thread like this I think "Hmm... There's probably an AMD cpu involved..."

"...YUP!"

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=569128

This guys 8800GTS 320 (G80 mind you...) is currently faster than your 4870.

It's not DRIVERS... it's not a PCI-E 2.0 problem...

Your CPU is bottle necking your graphics card.

Overclock it to 3ghz and see if that helps.

I'm pretty sure that Mobo is not PCIe2.0.

And your RAM is running at DDR2-800 speeds. I don't know how AMD boards work. I know Intel won't let you go over 1:2 ratio...not sure about AMD.

You can probably tighten up the memory timings to 4-4-4-x, though. Make sure to give your RAM it's rated voltage first.

That mobo is pcie 2.0 http://www.asus.com/products.aspx?l1=3&l2=149&l3=591&l4=0&model=1751&modelmenu=1. Gpuz must be reading 790fx motherboards incorrectly because it says mine isn't pcie 2.0 even though it is.

Every time I see a thread like this I think "Hmm... There's probably an AMD cpu involved..."

"...YUP!"

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=569128

This guys 8800GTS 320 (G80 mind you...) is currently faster than your 4870.

It's not DRIVERS... it's not a PCI-E 2.0 problem...

Your CPU is bottle necking your graphics card.

Overclock it to 3ghz and see if that helps.

...with the caveat that 3D06 aka CPU06 score isn't going to be indicative of real game performance. Seems like the OP already saw that with AoC.

...with the caveat that 3D06 aka CPU06 score isn't going to be indicative of real game performance. Seems like the OP already saw that with AoC.

Oh who gives a damned about "real game performance"? I'm talking about how many operations the GPU can perform and THOSE being limited by his low CPU clock.

Case in point:

No way in HELL should my G80 be faster.

Attachments

• gpu5.JPG
    gpu5.JPG
    138.7 KB · Views: 797
Last edited:
I just picked up a 4850 and am moving my 8800GT to my son's computer. My Galaxy 8800GT is clocked to 700/1000 and I clocked my HIS 4850 to 700/1125. At these speeds the 4850 is about 15-20% faster in Crysis, COD4, HL2 EP2 except it scores about 600 points lower in 3dMark06 than the 8800GT it is replacing. Suppose it could be drivers. I notice that it is the return to Proxycon test that it for some reason scores really poorly in (about 30% less fps) and it does better than the 8800 in the rest of the tests.

Rainless he's using an older version of gpuz that doesn't detect his card correctly. I can definitely say that my new system is much faster than my old g80 system.

Try using Vantage as a benchmark. I don't trust 3dmark06 as much since the score is mainly driven by the CPU.

g80gpuz.gif
i guess my g80 is faster as well? :rolleyes:

point being the cpu is not the issue here. he's using an older version of gpuz which displays incorrect fillrates and memory bandwidth for the 4800 series.

http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1124/TechPowerUp_GPU-Z_v0.2.5.html
Revision History

* Fixed BIOS Reading on HD 4870. Please do not flash non-128K BIOSes to GDDR5 cards
* Fixed GDDR5 bandwidth calculation
* Fixed texture fillrate on RV770 and RV730
* Added three extra on-die temperature sensors to RV770 monitoring
* Removed states.dmp file creation
* Fixed GPU activity readings on RV770
* Changed devices list order to be more intuitive (by bus number now)
* Added Shared Memory support, see the forum for more info
* Fixed more 190°C PCB readings on NVIDIA
* Catalyst Beta versions no longer displayed as version 2.2
* Fixed sensor graph overflow
* Sensor graphs will try to autoscale now
* Fixed RV505 process size
* Fixed memory bus width reading on some ATI RS300
* Fixed rare crash when reading NVIDIA sensors
* Fixed GDDR3 detection for G71

Last edited:
I have an e8200 clocked at 3.2 and a 4850 clocked at 700/1125. I scored a 12902, is that a score I should expect? I have no idea where that stands. Any input would be appreciated!

Back