• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Controlling audio remotely

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

RealitySlap8

Registered
So this might be a tad off topic for this forum, but I figure I'll try..

Does anybody know of any ways to control the audio output of a computer remotely? I have a computer in the basement and I would like it to output the same audio that this computer (upstairs) is playing. Hopefully that makes sense..

I'm not 100% sure I'm up on what you want. Lets say that you want to play some music upstairs and stream the same "program" downstiars. The downstairs machine would have a slight off-set as it would have to deal with a very slight lag. This would only be noticable if you could hear both sources at the same time.

If you do want to stream your audio to the downstairs machine, I'm sure that you can find free programs that allow that. I just don't know what they are.

Yeah, thats the idea.. I found an old thread that helped me a bit, apparently its termed 'audio tunneling'.. I've got some VST plug in that supposedly works very well, i'm just struggling on how to use the VST..

this is quite easy actually... as long as you can connect each of the computers via lan its easy..

install Windows Media Encoder 9 (free from microsoft) to stream any audio played on the host computer (its very easy to do) then simply start up windows media player on the client computer and go file > open url and then type in the ip of the host comp.

there will be about a 5-10 second lag between the audio output of the host to the audio of the client due to compression and processing.

yeah, I'm really trying to eliminate that lag.. :/ I set up a shoutcast station since I already use winamp and ran into a ~10 second lag..

you could give VLC a try. I'm not sure how much latency you would get but i wouldn't think i would be too much. It works pretty similar to what nd4spdbh2 described.

www.videolan.org

Here's a guide on how to setup streaming with VLC using the built in wizard.
http://www.videolan.org/doc/streaming-howto/en/ch02.html#id305152

http://www.videolan.org/doc/

That is a link to any other info you might need to get things setup with VLC.

I don't know if this is what you were looking for or not but it is another option to look at.

this is quite easy actually... as long as you can connect each of the computers via lan its easy..

install Windows Media Encoder 9 (free from microsoft) to stream any audio played on the host computer (its very easy to do) then simply start up windows media player on the client computer and go file > open url and then type in the ip of the host comp.

there will be about a 5-10 second lag between the audio output of the host to the audio of the client due to compression and processing.

Or if you want better sound quality you could VLC or Foobar2000 ;).

Thanks for all the replys guys,

Like I said earlier, the shoutcast delay was very noticeable, xLobby was only available as a trial and was also not sold as software only.. I tried a buncha other stuff without much success.

I found this thread that covered a similar topic (Curtis I believe you posted the program that ended up working the best) http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=533907&highlight=remote+audio

With that winamp plugin and the Tuppesoft Audio Tunnel VST plugin I got it all synched up, just some occasional crackles.. Thanks for the input :D

Back