• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

USB flash fried

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

delta107

Hi to all!
I have a problem with my LG USB flash. I usually used my front side case USB slot which was linked to my mobo. But, somehow I and one of my friends wanted to test something out of the box and USB wire was attached to the firewire slot while the firewire to the USB. Then when I wanted to use my flash I inserted it to the front USB slot... It got very hot... :bang head I guess that it is fried. Is there a way to get to the information or the storage chips might be also damaged? Thanks a lot.

P.S. I had a lot of information there- my bookmarks ~1,8 Mb, some important files and images...

Well I dunno if the stick is fried or not. You could try using the program called OnBelay. Its a great tool for USB sticks. It can scan the drive and recover any lost information.

It is not detected, so there is nothing to recover. I read somewhere that you can fry your southbridge that way. I gets very hot so I guess that although the chips might still be workable the firmware might be damaged

Well, the fact is that the USB spec sets a celing of 5.25 volts at the connector. And firewire has no celing but runs nominally at 25 volts and sometimes goes up to 30 volts.

My guess is that it is more than the firmware that is dead here.

Back