• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Which OCZ ram to get?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
For all 4 not a bad price as far as amount of the memory, but as far as the timings go pretty ****ty in my book. I have a pair of the ocz pc8500 sli that i got from rma and i wont use those ever again in any of my rigs. They suck as far as im concerned. They wouldn't even run at stock for me from the word go and then they just up and croaked on me so i sent them in for an rma. I don't know what im gonna do with them because i don't want to use them in any of my stuff nor do i want to sell them and screw anyone that buys them, so they are collecting dust here in my computer room for the last 4 months. Pretty sad considering i paid almost $300.00 bucks for them when i first got them. Dont get me wrong i have no problem with ocz. When i had my asus P4C800 deluxe board i had some ocz ddr1 ram in it and it was at the time the best memory that i had ever used and overclocked like crazy. Im just not impressed with the ocz ddr2 Pc8500 sli considering how much it cost me and the performance that i got out of it and the fact it only lived for about 2 weeks before it croaked. If you can get your hands on some of the double sided crucial ballistix then that would be your best bet. I am buying every set of those that i can get my hands on because they are the best i have found as far as overclocking and stability goes. You will find alot of people crapping on them but do some research and reach your own conclusion because as long as you dont put to much volts through them and you have some kind of active cooling on them they can't be beat for the performance and stability that they will give you.

Anyone else have any input on the OCZ sticks?

lokie what kind of ram would you recommend for overclocking?

thanks

Crucial ballistix or crucial crucial ballistix tracer if you can get your hands on them. Just make sure you get the double sided sticks.You can easily get 1100 out of pc6400 You dont want the newer sticks as they dont overclock as good as the old ones do. I have used alot of memory and the ballistix are the best by far. Just do your math and you will find that crucial is the way to go.:beer:

I just bought these OCZ Reapers and they're rated at 4-4-4-15. Not sure what the difference is between this one and the one in OP's link.

BTW. They work great and the bios recognized the timings right out of the box.

edit:
Part #OCZ2RPR800C44GK - 4-4-4-15 @ 2.1 ($57 AR free shipping)
Part #OCZ2RPR800C4GK - 5-5-5-18 @ 1.8 ($66 AR plus shipping)

Last edited:
I had to try 3 pairs of 1GB PC6400 OCZ Gold modules before finding one that didn't fail testing at stock speeds, and on each of the last two trips back to Fry's, I met another person returning the exact same memory.

The only brands that have been trouble-free for me are Corsair, Crucial/Micron (not Ballistix or anything with heatsinks), and PNY (except for one PC-133 with a solder blob on its contacts; had Infineon prime-quality chips). I've had failures with Kingston (really bad), Mushkin, K-byte, Spectek (I don't know if Micron owned them at the time), and OCZ.

Back