• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

case for internal pa120.3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jkresh

I am considering going to a full tower (from my u2ufo), and would like some suggestions for a case where I can internally mount a pa120.3 (or maybe the new tfc 480, but I doubt I will move to it). I would prefer to mount the radiator/fans at the bottom of the case, I could do a top mount but I don’t want to do a front (as I don’t want to give up that many drive bays). I would prefer a bottom as in the unlikely event of a leak I don’t want the powersupply sitting below the radiator (and I don’t really like the silverstone tj07, as mounting the powersupply next to the radiator seems like a problem waiting to happen. I would like 6 hdd bays and at least 4 optical (though I might be able to get down to 2 if necessary). Right now I am looking at 3 cases that I think would work, (Lian li pca77, pcp80,nzxt khaos, and thermaltake swordm), I like the fact that the sword has a lot of room and is already black inside (I think it looks better then silver for the motherboard try/drive bays) and the fact that it would be easy to throw a 250mm fan on the side (in the space for the 4*120’s) but the fact that it only had 3 3.5 bayes (and that they take up 3 5.25 instead of doing a 4 in 3 is bothersome, also the lack of filters on the fans). I am not too concerned about money (ease of installing what I want trumps cost), but I would like it to be less than $500, including handles and casters and if necessary and extra 4 in 3 module. Also whatever case I use should be easy to move (weight is not an issue but not worrying about parts coming loose or leaks is).

I have a few compliaints with the mountian mods, 1 the fact that all the drive bays require screws (and there are no vibration mounts for the hdd bays) is bothersome on a case this expensive. 2 Some of the screw holes do not align perfectly for the side panels (I can get them on but a few of the screws are tricky). And my biggest issue (and why I have to do something relatively soon), the motherboard tray has warped (where the cards go), so I can’t install a new graphics card (unless I want to bend the bracket on the card) also the top and bottom pci bays have screws through them which make it difficult to install and remove cards. I know I can order a new mb tray from them and that might be a temporary fix but I am not sure I want to do that, and I would have to custom order it as my case is blue.

I have read the last hundred pages or so of the watercooled cases thread but I didn’t see many bottom mounts (it seems that top is more popular).

Any comments on those cases, or any other one that could work without too much modding, or solution to the mountain mods issues would be appreciated.

parts would basically be what is in the sig, though probably a new gpu (gtx 280 or 4870x2 are likely, and most likely will add it to the loop).

I have this also posted on xtremesystems and the general response has been look for a top mount with one of the lian li pc70 cases, a botum with the silverstone tj07, or go with a new mountainmods (or just a new motherboard tray).

I noticed how hard it was to install my video card on my U2-UFO case too; it was damn near impossible at first. What I ended up doing was taking my pocket knife and scraping the paint out of the slots that the tails of the pci brackets of the video cards slip into. That widened the slot enough to make it much easier to get those pci bracket tails to slide into the holes in the mobo tray. And scraping the paint from there is invisible too; hidden by the board and the pci brackets.

As for the hard drive mounting, I don't hear enough racket from my hard drive to bother me. But I only have 1 hard drive in my case too. But I thought about this and if you install the brackets the opposite way from the way they were designed to be mounted, you would have plenty of room to rubber mount the hard drives with some rubber grommets and long screws. Just a few thoughts for you to consider. :)

I went with a Chenbro SR107 for my internal PA120.3 build (ref avatar). Features 8 x hdd bays so am not worried about running out of storage space any time soon.

I noticed how hard it was to install my video card on my U2-UFO case too; it was damn near impossible at first. What I ended up doing was taking my pocket knife and scraping the paint out of the slots that the tails of the pci brackets of the video cards slip into. That widened the slot enough to make it much easier to get those pci bracket tails to slide into the holes in the mobo tray. And scraping the paint from there is invisible too; hidden by the board and the pci brackets.

As for the hard drive mounting, I don't hear enough racket from my hard drive to bother me. But I only have 1 hard drive in my case too. But I thought about this and if you install the brackets the opposite way from the way they were designed to be mounted, you would have plenty of room to rubber mount the hard drives with some rubber grommets and long screws. Just a few thoughts for you to consider. :)

You must have the old MB tray. . . Here is a pic of my new MM modular MB tray. . . SLI fits without any problems. . .

2664902572_049a44b705_b.jpg

Dear god raider, do you have waterblocks on-everything?- I want to see some full shots of that case.

And I second the Rocketfish one. it's fsking MASSIVE and you can do a beautiful top mount job.

Dear god raider, do you have waterblocks on-everything?- I want to see some full shots of that case.

And I second the Rocketfish one. it's fsking MASSIVE and you can do a beautiful top mount job.

Still a work in progress... "MM Ascension - BDS"

2618723908_55e057c2e7_b.jpg

2617900753_a1c7855a72_b.jpg

RedRaider, how would you compare the strength of the motherboard tray to that of the side panels/front panels and case itself? I like my mountianmods (except for the few issues I listed) but the motherboard tray is too easy to bend (and it has been more of an issue with each install). I admit that my case is several revisions ago (3+ years) so its possible they have resolved it but I don't know (and cant see spending $400 or so on a case from them without bieng sure).

The front panel is 1.5mm thick and the NEW Modular MB Tray is 1.5mm thick. Same thickess but smaller area. I can hold the bare MB tray I my hands and try to bend it to no avail...

Look at my picture the NEW MB tray is different. The "dogleg" that supports the tray if mounted vertically, is removable now...

Your worried @ spending $400, whatever... I paid @ $700 and have nothing but praise for BEN and his product...

BTW, BEN's anodizing is truly second to none... The fit/finish of the panels is exquisite...

Last edited:
You must have the old MB tray. . . Here is a pic of my new MM modular MB tray. . . SLI fits without any problems. . .

2664902572_049a44b705_b.jpg

Looks like the mobo tray I got, from what I can tell with your board mounted on it. And it better be the new tray, since I bought this case only a month or 2 ago from them. The problem wasn't fitting SLI; I am not running SLI or Crossfire. The problem was getting the pci slot tails down through the slits for them that are cut on the tray. And cleaning out the powder coating in those slits gave enough extra room that the cards would mount easier. Evidently they cut all the openings and slots in the case and then powdercoat everything.

EDIT: Didn't scroll down far enough at first to see the pics you posted of the bare tray; I must have the old tray then, which frigging sucks. I guess I need to fire off some emails on why I got the old style then. But then, I did get the EATX style tray too, so maybe they didn't redesign the EATX style trays yet.

Just a question, why did you watercool your mosfets? Surely the restriction introduced into the loop because of those blocks is a big limitation considering those are cooled perfectly well by any reasonable air cooler.

Looks like the mobo tray I got, from what I can tell with your board mounted on it. And it better be the new tray, since I bought this case only a month or 2 ago from them. The problem wasn't fitting SLI; I am not running SLI or Crossfire. The problem was getting the pci slot tails down through the slits for them that are cut on the tray. And cleaning out the powder coating in those slits gave enough extra room that the cards would mount easier. Evidently they cut all the openings and slots in the case and then powdercoat everything.

EDIT: Didn't scroll down far enough at first to see the pics you posted of the bare tray; I must have the old tray then, which frigging sucks. I guess I need to fire off some emails on why I got the old style then. But then, I did get the EATX style tray too, so maybe they didn't redesign the EATX style trays yet.

If you received your case prior to the last 30 days, then you have the older MB tray. Firing off nasty emails to BEN will do you no good... BEN released the FIRST NEW MB TRAYS along with the Ascension - BDS orders. They were part of that production run... He did redesign the EATX trays as well...

Be nice in your email to BEN and tell him RedRaider sent you...

Just a question, why did you watercool your mosfets? Surely the restriction introduced into the loop because of those blocks is a big limitation considering those are cooled perfectly well by any reasonable air cooler.
:screwy:

I will be running (3) loops in my current build. Restriction really won't be a problem... Here are my loops...

LOOP ORDER

LOOP 1 -- MCP355(XSPC res top) / MCP355(XSPC top) / PA120.3 / EK Supreme (Tygon R3400)

LOOP 2 -- MCP355(XSPC res top) / PA120.3 / GPU / GPU (Tygon R3400)

LOOP 3 -- MCP355(XSPC res top) / PA120.3 / Mosfet 1 / Mosfet 2 / NB / SB (Tygon B-44-4X)

Martins Flow Rate Estimator

LOOP 1 -- 2.14 gpm

LOOP 2 -- 2.46 gpm

LOOP 3 -- 2.01 gpm ??? Restriction ???

Last edited:
If you received your case prior to the last 30 days, then you have the older MB tray. Firing off nasty emails to BEN will do you no good... BEN released the FIRST NEW MB TRAYS along with the Ascension - BDS orders. They were part of that production run... He did redesign the EATX trays as well...

Be nice in your email to BEN and tell him RedRaider sent you...

OK, then these new mobo trays have come out since I bought my case then. I can live with that. And FYI, I know that you can catch more flies with honey than vinegar, so I am polite in correspondence with vendors. I have no problems with my present tray now that I scraped the paint out of those slits for the pci card tails. If you look in the Cases forum you will see my thread on my UFO-U2, which I just love for the most part.

I believe I can see where you had your problems with the I/O panel of the video card in slot 6/7 not wanting to fit.

With the NEW modular MB tray, you actually bolt on the rear panel to the tray itself. I had to loosen the screws holding the rear panel on, so I could slide the video cards I/O panel in...

I'll check out your build...

"One Nation, Under Mountain Mods"

Last edited:
Hey thats funny, I'm in kinda the same position. I have a u2ufo horizon and I'm looking for a new case that'll fit a pa 120.3 internally.

Honestly for the money, the build quality of the u2ufo that I have isn't so great... A couple of the panels feel jangley and flimsy. Some of those rivets/studs are also coming loose. The case is a bit too huge for me too. I like to take my PC to a LAN every now and then.

Let me know if you end up finding any interesting prospects and I'll let you know if I find anything promising too.

RedRaider can you post some picks of the back of the motherboard tray (or of it inside the case), I can't realy see the differences in teh pictures (outside of how it connects to the interlas of the case and that might be because you have it setup for a horizontal install), my tray looks exactly like muddockters (except for color). It installed into the case with 5 screws (4 that connect to the rear panel and one that connects to the bottom).

Kampfzerstorer
for bottom mounts there do not seem to be to many options, top mounting seems to have a bunch of lian li options (pc-p70 or g70, pcp-77, pcp80 and possibly a silverstone tj10 and I think a cosmos s with some drilling if the fans are outside the case). Though all of those require some amount of cutting/drilling.

Back