• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Finally! SLI on INTEL boards.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Surfrider77

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/080714/aqm063.html?.v=50

SANTA CLARA, Calif., July 14 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- PC enthusiasts, manufacturers, and developers around the world have a lot to be excited about today with NVIDIA Corporation's announcement that it will be bringing the power and performance of its SLI® multi-GPU technology to Intel's upcoming line of Bloomfield CPUs...

New SLI motherboards will feature the NVIDIA nForce® 200 SLI processor, Intel Bloomfield CPUs, and Tylersburg (X58) chipsets. The nForce 200 SLI processor features patented SLI technology for graphics bandwidth management and multi-GPU peer-to-peer communications, both required to optimize graphics performance.

Can we say "waaaaaay overdue"?

that is exciting news. maybe we'll see some better overclocks in sli setups. i hear that the boards running nvidia chipsets aren't as good as the boards running intel chipsets...

do you think that it is going to be full blown sli support? it isn't going to be something like, "you can run sli, but it isn't going to run as well as it would on an nvidia chipset..."

I am still convinced it could have been handled via driver software, but obviously nVidia has convinced Intel to allow nVidia to sell a chip to be placed on each of these boards. nVidia always held out in the past because they wanted SLI users to buy nVidia chipsets. Now, for each Intel X58 chipset, there will be this added "NVIDIA nForce® 200 SLI processor" on each board.

Intel now gets SLI users and nVidia is still selling chips. Win-Win for the two companies, but I am sure the cost of that SLI processor chip will trickle down to the customers.

I am sure Nvidia wouldn't make their cards run worse on intel chipsets. This has made me very happy as Intel boards are better than Nvidia's, such as in overclocking. It makes me want to upgrade when they come out now :(

I am still convinced it could have been handled via driver software, but obviously nVidia has convinced Intel to allow nVidia to sell a chip to be placed on each of these boards. nVidia always held out in the past because they wanted SLI users to buy nVidia chipsets. Now, for each Intel X58 chipset, there will be this added "NVIDIA nForce® 200 SLI processor" on each board.

Intel now gets SLI users and nVidia is still selling chips. Win-Win for the two companies, but I am sure the cost of that SLI processor chip will trickle down to the customers.

SLI is all at driver level.... i can take 2 nvidia cards stick them in my 975x chipset board and with modded drivers i can have sli on my chipset.... so it will be intresting to see what this extra chip is there for... but WAHOOOOO FINALLY SLI ON INTEL CHIPSETS BABY!

All the more reason to abandon the nvidia chipset ship. This is good news for us consumers. all inclusive chipsets with no sacrifice.

All the more reason to abandon the nvidia chipset ship. This is good news for us consumers. all inclusive chipsets with no sacrifice.

From news I'd read there won't be a choice but to abandon NV chipsets. They aren't going to make them any more, and to that I say good riddance :p

From news I'd read there won't be a choice but to abandon NV chipsets. They aren't going to make them any more, and to that I say good riddance :p

Well they'll still probably make them for amd, but like you said it's not a big loss if they stop altogether.

Well they'll still probably make them for amd, but like you said it's not a big loss if they stop altogether.

Yeah. Its too bad too, honestly. They had fantastic chipsets back in the day. The late Socket A chipsets and early socket 939 chipsets were kick ***... but it went downhill after that. Kinda like via...

Yeah. Its too bad too, honestly. They had fantastic chipsets back in the day. The late Socket A chipsets and early socket 939 chipsets were kick ***... but it went downhill after that. Kinda like via...

nForce4 still gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. This is some interesting news, I was wondering if something like this would happen with the hit that nvidia took recently.

I thought that was limited to only 6xxx series GPU's though?

nope if there were modded drivers for the 8 and 9 series you could have sli on intel chipsets... essientally an SLI board is no different than a intel crossfire board. they both have 2 16x slots. the difference is the chipset, if the nvidia driver sees that there is a nvidia sli chipset, it will allow sli to be ran, if it does not see any nvidia sli chipset, the driver does not allow sli... pretty much as simple as that.

I have mixed feelings.

On one hand we get good Intel chipsets that support Crossfire and SLI, which will make the video card wars more interesting as people who want SLI won't have to get mediocre Nvidia chipsets.

On the other, now Intel has supreme dominance of CPUs and have eliminated competition of compatible chipsets for them. Unless AMD can whip it out and offer competitive CPUs, I forsee very slow product development in the CPU and chipset category for a long time, and possible price gouging.

AMD probably really really hates this news.

"unless AMD can whip it out and offer competitive CPUs"

that is what i have been hoping for a while now...competitive amd's

The thing that gets me is that there is no physical reason for that Nvidia bridge chip for SLI to work besides making another sale of a chip for Nvidia. SLI should work just fine on Intel's PCI-e implementation without having to use that bridge chip. Just another way for Nvidia to bleed the consumer (that's you and me folks) out of an extra $50 or more for your mobo. It's the same brdige chip that Nvidia implemented to give PCI-e 2.0 capability to the 780i chipset, but Intel already has native PCI-e 2.0 implemented on the chipset. Just another reason for me to get more disgusted with Nvidia. And this is from a person whose machines run mostly Nvidia vid cards.

Also, have any motherboard manufacturers announced any boards that will implement this bridge chip yet? I would think it's a bit late in the game to start redesigning the boards already in the pipeline in order to put this bridge chip on them.

The thing that gets me is that there is no physical reason for that Nvidia bridge chip for SLI to work besides making another sale of a chip for Nvidia. SLI should work just fine on Intel's PCI-e implementation without having to use that bridge chip. Just another way for Nvidia to bleed the consumer (that's you and me folks) out of an extra $50 or more for your mobo. It's the same brdige chip that Nvidia implemented to give PCI-e 2.0 capability to the 780i chipset, but Intel already has native PCI-e 2.0 implemented on the chipset. Just another reason for me to get more disgusted with Nvidia. And this is from a person whose machines run mostly Nvidia vid cards.

Also, have any motherboard manufacturers announced any boards that will implement this bridge chip yet? I would think it's a bit late in the game to start redesigning the boards already in the pipeline in order to put this bridge chip on them.

There's still time, might be a bit late, but we still got 5-6 months before Nehalem. Like you said, it's only a stupid overpriced chip anyways. I wouldn't expect mobo companies to make that many changes to accomidate one, but I could be wrong.

There's still time, might be a bit late, but we still got 5-6 months before Nehalem. Like you said, it's only a stupid overpriced chip anyways. I wouldn't expect mobo companies to make that many changes to accomidate one, but I could be wrong.

never know... 90% of the gaming population is uneducated... they go ooooo SLI i need to have that type of thing.

Back