• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

have the 64bit issues been resolved?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Evil_inc

I am going to purchase a new ibm thinkpad tablet today. I want to make it as light on its feet as possible so I am considering loading it with 4 gigs of ram because the max processor is 1.8 conroe. to make full use of this I would have to use vista 64bit. Seeing as all the correct drivers for 64bit will be installed, are there any other major issues with this operating system?

I am going to purchase a new ibm thinkpad tablet today. I want to make it as light on its feet as possible so I am considering loading it with 4 gigs of ram because the max processor is 1.8 conroe. to make full use of this I would have to use vista 64bit. Seeing as all the correct drivers for 64bit will be installed, are there any other major issues with this operating system?

I assume "as is" the machine will run fine because of the pre ship standard benchmarks IBM performs. It will be another story when we start adding the 3rd part apps.

Is this going to be a productivity only notebook?

yes, it will lightly run cad and take notes. I have my sig machine to take over rendering and occasional gaming.

I wasn't aware of any issues with 64bit. I've been using it with no issues for the past few months.

The only thing I can think of is that there are no drivers for your hardware in a 64bit environment, or the programs have issues running in it. The only program that I've heard doesn't work is actually made by our company, lol.

ya the "64 bit issues" are soley old periphials that decided not to make 64bit drivers, i have yet to find a program that wont work

Does that processor support 64-bit? Those the mobiles werent 64 bit. Am I wrong ??

Z

I had no problem finding basic MB drivers (audio, ethernet, etc) for Win XP Pro 64 bit, nor Vista Ultimate 64bit, even Creative finally got some drivers out (about frickin' time, they tried to hold out, but the backlash from millions of Audigy users, LOL))...my newer Lexmark cheapo printer had no 64 bit support, but my ancient HP722c printer had drivers...

Generally, if you do your research, the basics are covered. Where I am having problems is with third party parts, ie, in my case an IDVault pendrive that I use for accessing all my financials and whatever, they gots a driver for XP32bit, Vista32bit and Vista64bit, but refuse to make the necessary changes to get their driver XP64bit compatible....

Since M$ itself is not supporting WinXP anymore the manu's now have LESS pressure to get onboard with WinXP64bit, so like it or not, Vista is being rammed down our throats or up our a..es, and XP64bit will prolly just stagnate.....I want 64bit, having 8 gigs of memory is nice..........

Still dual booting to WinXP32bit to pays bills and whatever.....tried Vista 64bit for a few daze, even got it totally updated all current updates including the huge new service pac before I wiped it clean and went to XPPro64bit, just didn't like the layering and permissions and background stuff on Vista, felt like I was being spied on ifunowutimeanjellybean.....:temper: I know, you can disable a lot of things, but Vista just is still too intrusive, the sometimes very annoying administrator permissions fight, fudge, don't get me started:(....and do we really know if the OS is calling home without user knowledge every once and awhile???? wouldn't put it past them.

laterzzzz..................

Last edited:
Back