• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

speed versus timings for a begginer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mbiker72

Registered
Ok, dial me in, I have 2x 1Gb Corsair Twin2x EPP 800mhz ram. Currently voltage is at 2.1, running 4-4-4-12 at 800mhz. Is it better to up the speed and ease up on the timings, or keep it the way it is. Also, how does one begin to guess looser timings in an effort to overclock? Could someone with similar ram post example setups, i.e. timings, speed and voltage?

CPU FSB should be the number 1 priority. Once you find the best FSB for it, you should use that one with your RAM and tighten the timings accordingly.

someone told me that the higher timmings ... such as 5-5-5-15 let you run a higher fsb ... where as 3-3-3-9 restrict it a little

That is indeed correct. However, you must take into account the CPU's fsb limit. Most duals run at ~480. Quads ~460. That gives you around 960mhz for the RAM.

Back