• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

System stutters when in Raid mode.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bchur83

I just got a new system a little while back, consisting of a E6600, IP35-Pro, 2GB Ram, XP Pro, etc. I just bought some new HDs, 4x WD 640GB AAKS, to run in a Raid 5 config for movie storage. Anyway, my problem is that when playing movies or music, the whole system stutters every minute or so. I'm not even pulling the music or movies off the raid array, but since it was setup, I get this damn stutter :bang head. I searched the net and found a few people with is saying it is a driver issue and that the only way to fix it is to use IDE mode instead of RAID. This is BS, it should work fine in RAID mode since that is what it was designed to do. I updated to the lates Matrix Storage Console and driver, but that didnt change anything.

Below is a HD Tune result showing spikes when the stutter occurs. Yes, that is a RAID0 test, but it does it both in Raid0, 5, & 10.

Anyone else have this stutter issue?

Attachments

• hdtune1.JPG
    hdtune1.JPG
    58.4 KB · Views: 157
Well after about 4 hrs of messing with drivers for the Sound and Raid drivers, I finally found the problem. I set it to IDE mode and still had the stutter, so that wasnt it. I then installed SP3, still had the stutter. Finally as a last ditch effort I started closing background processes one by one. The first one being Speedfan. Sure enough that is what was causing it. It looks like it has an issue reading the SMART from the HDs and makes the system stutter. Now I disabled SMART monitoring in Speedfan and all is well.

Hopefully this helps others out who are having this issue, or maybe I'm the only one with it.

Attachments

• hdtune2.JPG
    hdtune2.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 252
Back