• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New build questions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

slr001

Hey guys,

Just getting started. Have built many computers over the years. (Started by adding a math co-processor to an 8086, which tells you how far back I go)

Building a new machine, and figured I would go water. My home office gets a little warm 79-82F on summer afternoons when a lot is running. My main goal was to cut down some on the heat, and quiet things down. I will overclock a little, but it isnt a main goal.

The following is what I am hoping to arrive by Fri...

Computer
ASUS Maximus II Formula LGA 775 Intel P45
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Yorkfield 2.66GHz LGA 775
4 x G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) (8Gig total)
XFX PVT98FYDBU GeForce 9800 GTX Black Edition 512MB 256-bit GDDR3
LITE-ON Black SATA Blu-ray DVD-ROM Drive
2 existing 500g Sata drives
Existing power supply that I think is enough power... current computer is drawing the same amount as this one will with the exception of the pump.

Cooling
Swiftech MCP655™ 12 VDC Pump
ThermoChill PA120.2
Apogee GTX Extreme Performance CPU Waterblock
DD - 9800GTX GPU water block
2 x Scythe S-Flex Fan - SFF21D
Swiftech MCRES-Micro
Tygon R-3400 1/2" ID 3/4" OD - UV Resistant black Tubing
(I think I got everything ordered with 1/2" barbs)

Going in an existing Thermaltake Armor full tower case

Any thoughts? Did I get everything I need for the cooling? I will grab some worm clamps locally, and start with Distilled water till I get things finished. Decided to hold off on NB, SB Mosfet, Ram cooling till I see how things go.

That will be an adequate setup for those system components with not much oc'n in mind IMO.. but with everything else if you get serious with it could swap out the 2 core fore 3 core later (rad). if i remember correctly those intel quads get quite warm don't they?

You really need a PA120.3 if you plan on running one loop with quad core and GPU...

Yate Loon D-12SM's offer best performance for the $$$ with PA rads...

Might want to get some Petras PT Nuke to keep the critters out of your loop...

IMO, EK Supreme is a better CPU block...

You really need a PA120.3 if you plan on running one loop with quad core and GPU...

Yate Loon D-12SM's offer best performance for the $$$ with PA rads...

Might want to get some Petras PT Nuke to keep the critters out of your loop...

IMO, EK Supreme is a better CPU block...

Thanks for all the feedback everyone.

RedRaider,

I would have gotten the PA120.3, but concerned about room in the case... I want everything internal. I will upgrade if temps warrant it, and if space permits.

The Yates vs Scythes, I was going for quiet and heard the thermochill works well with lower CFM fans... The particular Scythe I ordered has very low sound for the CFM... But not sure how well it will cool the rad. I just ordered 2, and figured on getting a few more of the same or something else to replace some of the case fans to cut down on noise.

Back