• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Think we will see 280GTS's @ compairable to ATI Prices any time soon?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SF101

The Printer Guru
Seeing as i don't have a darn crossfire motherboard & am stuck with this SLI setup .

Whats your predictions .

will Nvidia Drop there Card prices to that of ATI seeing the ATI card is superior right now?

or am i going to have to just get a 4870X2 when they release in order to be happy and skip the SLI ordeal all together basically making my 790i purcause pointless because i bought it for SLI lol.. but you can see why i would say 4870X2 @ maybe 450-500$ vs SLI 280's @ 950-1000$.. and the 4870X2 > than SLI 280GTX.. kind of puts that icing on the cake.

and no i dont have real intrest in doing the TRI SLI because 3 cards is just way to much $ anyways lol. Maybe down the road i could add a 3rd card when they fix the performance of TRI-SLI but who knows.

have you given much thought to going with two 9800gtx(+) in SLI, because now that is a nice cheap way of gettting that type of performance your looking for.
you'll see a nice increase in everything over what you got, and it wont cost an arm and a leg.

go on, tell me this is a bad score....
2653447893_57e21990e8_b.jpg

mica

I personally couldn't care less what my cards are scoring when I can play every game I want at decent FPS, no matter what idea they give you, its kind of silly to base a judgement on scores.

I don't think so. Im my experience Nvidia has never offered cards cheaper than ATI, and its very likely that they wouldn't do it with these high end cards. We have already seen price drops in the GTX 260/280, this might be the second last price drop if anything til they release their mid range cards based on the same chip, but it will always be more than ATI's price offerings.

I was stuck in the same situation as yours. I have an nforce board so Im kinda stuck with nvidia (didn't think of it before) so I was thinking about HD 4870x2 but I've decided to stick to my setup this time around rather than changing my mind after every card release, which is an endless story and its getting silly after seeing what the consoles are capable of (Far Cry 2). Im hoping it will be good enough for 19x12 resolutions since I don't plan to upgrade my monitor either.

I see the 260/280 line going away fast with a new die shink asap. Im just gong to hang in with my 8800 ultra and milk it for a year or so longer. Just a wild guess but I dont see the 280's going under $300+. ATi just strated to drop there $300 cards this week to around 260$ with ReBaTe's. But then again if they can't find anyone to make the new chips for them maybe not.

Seeing as i don't have a darn crossfire motherboard & am stuck with this SLI setup .

Whats your predictions .

will Nvidia Drop there Card prices to that of ATI seeing the ATI card is superior right now?

or am i going to have to just get a 4870X2 when they release in order to be happy and skip the SLI ordeal all together basically making my 790i purcause pointless because i bought it for SLI lol.. but you can see why i would say 4870X2 @ maybe 450-500$ vs SLI 280's @ 950-1000$.. and the 4870X2 > than SLI 280GTX.. kind of puts that icing on the cake.

and no i dont have real intrest in doing the TRI SLI because 3 cards is just way to much $ anyways lol. Maybe down the road i could add a 3rd card when they fix the performance of TRI-SLI but who knows.

Ahhh the ATI 4000 cards are fast but not superior to NV's in speed. Until the 4780x2 hits the streets next month (BTW the MSRP on the card is $550) NV still easily has the speed crown. The 9800GTX+ has little trouble outrunning a 4850. The 4780 is a great card but no match for the current GTX280, which is selling at about $440 now, and is about even with the GXT260 but they are (at least the standard versions) grossly under clocked out of the box.

The 4870 does give much better performance bang for the buck over the GTX280 though but not the GTX260 as they are selling at the same price.

Now if you wait until September when the 55nm GT200b GTX280 hit the streets (that might be pulled up into August now) you will see a serious challenger against the 4870X2. A single GT200b GTX280 will be slower than an 4870X2 but not by a lot and will selling at around $400 which will no doubt cause ATI to lower the MSRP of the 4870X2 either before release or very shortly after.

Viper

Not sure where you got that idea, but it's not the case..

The only thing that happened lately with ATI is they actually put a competitive card on the market and Nvidia had to drop prices a bit.

edit: VJ, hear anything about a dual G92b or GT200b card?

Go with the 9800gtx+. It scales quite well and 3 of them are easily affordable which should outperform/match at least with the HD4870X2...

VJ, hear anything about a dual G92b or GT200b card?

Nope. I really doubt the latter will ever happen. The former is will depend on how long the
9800GX2 remains in production. Eventually the supply of 65nm G92 GPU will be exhausted
and 55nm G92 GPU's would have to be used.

Viper

oh well im selling off one of my pc's well see how much i get for it and perhaps ill wait for that last price drop and jump on a pair of 280GTX's .. then grab a 3rd if i feel the need later down the road.

like i said i bought this 790I with the G280's in mind but it was a bullet through the heart to hear the 9800X2 was performing on par with single G280 :/

oh well im selling off one of my pc's well see how much i get for it and perhaps ill wait for that last price drop and jump on a pair of 280GTX's .. then grab a 3rd if i feel the need later down the road.

like i said i bought this 790I with the G280's in mind but it was a bullet through the heart to hear the 9800X2 was performing on par with single G280 :/

The 280's will scale well w/ 2 and 3. The 9800GX2 will not even scale w/ 2, and you can't use 3 at once.

Not sure where you got that idea, but it's not the case..

The only thing that happened lately with ATI is they actually put a competitive card on the market and Nvidia had to drop prices a bit.

actually ive come across a couple reviews where the 4870 was out performing the 280GTX in afew games aside from crisis(age of conan especialy). which imho crisis is made to perform on nvidia cards to begin with and should prob be removed from bench marking for that reason alone but thats my opinion * and the fact the game sucked anyways*.

but aside from that i feel i should atleast try to use the SLI slots that i paid a premium for with this 790I mobo.

You should sell your current card and pick up a 4850 and OC it. They are so cheap anyway. If you sell your GTS for 100, get another 80 bucks towards the 4850.

Its a nice upgrade and wont cost you much.

Might aswel get used to the idea that Nforce boards are gonna vanish. Intel supports CF and when Nehalem launches it will support SLI.

Might aswel get used to the idea that Nforce boards are gonna vanish. Intel supports CF and when Nehalem launches it will support SLI.
getting used to it and the fact that its a 2 month old board are 2 dif things.

just because Intel will do SLI later does not mean that i shouldnt do sli in a Nvidia board now :p.. sry i just am not seeing your point on that one :p

and yes i understand Intel is supurior on afew fronts.*im a intel auth dealer btw* but it still doesnt make my SLI board terrible or anything.

im just hopeing those 280GTX's dip under 400$. ill buy 2 of them and SLI them if they do.

Ahhh the ATI 4000 cards are fast but not superior to NV's in speed. Until the 4780x2 hits the streets next month (BTW the MSRP on the card is $550) NV still easily has the speed crown. The 9800GTX+ has little trouble outrunning a 4850. The 4780 is a great card but no match for the current GTX280, which is selling at about $440 now, and is about even with the GXT260 but they are (at least the standard versions) grossly under clocked out of the box.

The 4870 does give much better performance bang for the buck over the GTX280 though but not the GTX260 as they are selling at the same price.

Now if you wait until September when the 55nm GT200b GTX280 hit the streets (that might be pulled up into August now) you will see a serious challenger against the 4870X2. A single GT200b GTX280 will be slower than an 4870X2 but not by a lot and will selling at around $400 which will no doubt cause ATI to lower the MSRP of the 4870X2 either before release or very shortly after.

Viper

Dangit John, I was looking forward to the 4870x2 release to retire my twin 8800GTs...now I guess I'll have to wait a couple extra weeks to see the next revision of the 280... ;)

Very good summary btw

Last edited:
Back