• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Vista 64-bit upgrade from 32-bit OEM?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

juane414

I'm getting a new laptop thats coming with vista home premium 32-bit. Would I be able to use an Upgrade version of Vista home premium 64-bit or do you have to upgrade from XP or Vista home Basic? Otherwise, I guess I have to buy another OEM version :(

That's really weird. I'm kind of in the same situation with a build. I purchased a copy of Vista 64 but the disc is scratched and is unusable. I have several Windows OSs in my house including an Upgrade version of Vista 64. I was going to install 32 bit Vista then do the upgrade but after reading that, it looks like I can't. Correct? So I will install a copy of 32 bit XP and upgrade to Vista 64 from there. I'm out of town until Monday but I'll try it all then. Hopefully this doesn't turn out to be as painful as it seems.

"So I will install a copy of 32 bit XP and upgrade to Vista 64 from there"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

dual boot, a big yes....

tryin' to upgrade a 32bit OS to a 64 bit OS, ain't gonna happen, even with a sledgehammer:bang head....

laterzzzz.....

2 things...

1. you cannot upgrade from 32 to 64bit. Period
2. you can use a upgrade DVD to perform a clean install of that OS.

"So I will install a copy of 32 bit XP and upgrade to Vista 64 from there"

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

dual boot, a big yes....

tryin' to upgrade a 32bit OS to a 64 bit OS, ain't gonna happen, even with a sledgehammer:bang head....

laterzzzz.....
Um, I've upgraded 32-bit XP to 64-bit Vista before. My dads computer was running XP and he purchased the upgrade version of Vista Ultimate which installed just fine. This is why I'm a little puzzled by that article. When I get back home on Monday I'll try upgrading 32-bit Vista to 64 and see how it goes.

Like the other folks already mentioned, you can't perform an upgrade from a 32-bit to a 64-bit version of Windows. If for example you were running the x64 version of XP, then you could use your Vista upgrade disk to upgrade to the x64 version of Vista.

Installation choices for 64-bit consumer versions of Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795/en-us

Like the other folks already mentioned, you can't perform an upgrade from a 32-bit to a 64-bit version of Windows. If for example you were running the x64 version of XP, then you could use your Vista upgrade disk to upgrade to the x64 version of Vista.

Installation choices for 64-bit consumer versions of Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/932795/en-us

You can't upgrade from x64 xp

I'm telling you, I have done it before. My fathers computer had 32-bit XP Professional installed. We purchased the Vista Ultimate UPGRADE which came with both 64 and 32 discs. I took the 64 disc, stuck it in my dads computer and proceeded with the upgrade. It was like any other format I've done and after I got passed the newness of Vista it all went without a hitch. So I don't understand why I couldn't do the same thing, except this time 32-bit Vista will be installed before-hand.

It /may/ backup your files and stuff to a directory, but it won't do a proper upgrade where you're basically where you left off, but with a new O/S.

Yeah, it didn't keep any of the data intact from the 32-bit XP install. But I don't care about that anyway since all the data is stored on seperate drives.

2 things...

2 more things...

1. I have done it. I'm currently running vista home premium x64 upgraded from xp home.
2. Thats illegal. I don't want to avoid violating the EULA in one way by violating it in another.

2 things...

2 more things...

1. I have done it. I'm currently running vista home premium x64 upgraded from xp home.
2. Thats illegal. I don't want to avoid violating the EULA in one way by violating it in another.

Yes you can perform a clean install from an upgrade and no it's NOT illegal. MS is aware of this option and left it in place on purpose with SP1. This is really an old discussion and I mean really old.

"It was like any other format I've done and after I got passed the newness of Vista it all went without a hitch."

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

key word i see is format, if you formatted then you did a clean install, which, as mentioned before, can be done with an upgrade CD/DVD. it essentially wipes out the XP 32 bit install, key word again, format....

again, you can not just to a typical 'upgrade' 32 bit to 64 bit, you can not mix the two....

laterzzzz................

I've read that all Vista keys are interchangeable between 32 and 64 bit editions. Is this true for OEMs as well? I wouldn't think so but I've heard of other people buying HP and Dell notebooks with 32-bit and successfully using the OEM key to install 64-bit. Can anyone confirm this one way or another?

Back