• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

It's time for opinions, I'm in dilemmas! New computer.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Satsumomo

Hey there guys! :)

Well I'm building myself a new computer, so far, the things I'm 100% sure to buy are as follows:

ASUS P5Q P45 Motherboard (Not interested in SLI or 16 phase power, this would suffice, right?)
Intel E8400
Corsair TX750 750W PSU
My current 8800GT
Storage? I'll use the ones I already have, I *might* get a bigger drive :)

Now, the problem I'm facing is mainly with memory. Do I get 2GB of Corsair XMS2 PC6400 4-4-4-12 and stay with WinXP? Or do I do the jump to Vista 64 with 4GB of the same memory? Or instead of DDR2, do I choose DDR3 (And switch to the ASUS P5QC) and if I do, which one would be the best for the E8400?
Or is my choice of DDR2 too simple? Should I got with something faster? I've been working so hard at school and at work that I've pretty much been unable to browse the forums regularly so I've been outdated FAST! on new technology :p

I think this covers all my questions, thanks for reading! :)

EDIT: Also, the E8400 will definetely not go up in price in mid-August, right? It just got lowered to $179.99 at my local retailer, and I'm guessing I shouldn't go out and buy it right now... because of a probably better price drop later?

I think it will be better to go to Vista 64 with 4gb ddr2 memory. You'll get DX10 and it won't really slow down your pc. I ran vista fine on a single core!

Yeah, I think one of my main concerns with Vista is the less resources I have available! Then again, I suppose it's possible to dual boot Vista and Xp right?

Yeah, I think one of my main concerns with Vista is the less resources I have available! Then again, I suppose it's possible to dual boot Vista and Xp right?

I've been trying to do that, I installed vista on another partition, I get 2 choices of OS's to choose, but If I choose xp I get a blacnk screen and nothing happens :( But I'm starting to like vista and im thinking about just deleting xp.

Just curious, why a TX750 for a system that'll draw around 230 fully loaded? You'd be much better off with a VX450 :)

I know what you mean! :)

But it's pretty much future proofing, also, the 750TX was on sale, for $90. Same price as the 550VX! Hehe.

High quality PSU's are really hard to find in Mexico, and as I'm currently in Canada I thought I'd buy a PSU to last me some time. (Also, resale value ho ho ho)

I have decided to go with 4GB of DDR2 PC1066 RAM :)

Still have to see if I will use XP64 or Vista64, since I will still want to use my Audigy 2ZS, and there seem to be some problems with it on Vista. But who knows, cause Company of Heroes is so nice with DX10 :p

Creative and Vista have not been the best of friends you may may have some issues there. However XP64 has just as bad if not worse driver support. The support for Vista 64 will get better as more and more people are adopting it due to the benefits of 4GB's in Vista where as XP64 is pretty much dead.

Also I would recommend a 4850 over the 8800GT, better performance for not much more money.

Make sure everything is compatible with that mobo. I have an Asus P5Q-E and I can't say I'm happy with it. I had lots of problems until upgrading BIOS and even now I'm not sure when's the next time I get BSoD'ed.

Back