• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A8N sli premium won't boot

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

emericanchaos

for whatever reason this board won't boot. when i power it on it will give me a single beep like it passed POST but it takes like twice as long. the only thing that comes up on screen is my X700 booting. "RV410 ATOMBIOS" etc. that's all it will do. the rest of the system is good because it works in another board i have. trying to fix this board because the working board is a crap VIA chipset and it's also giving me issues. i've already pulled the BIOS battery and let it sit overnight like that.

for those curious that board is a MSI K4 Neo something or other. sometimes during boot it won't have the keyboard working. it will work during POST and the whole boot process but once it gets to an OS it will sometimes work and sometimes not. does this with both WINXP and openSUSE 11. no dual boot, seperate installs. i've yet to get the KB working at all in openSUSE. the other issue with this board. sometimes it will screw up the video output. the pretty picture it shows during boot to cover POST will be all stretched and skewed on my 22" LCD. the text bit of booting looks fine. DMI pool bit. then when it gets to windows everything is squished into a picture about one pixel high going all the way acrossed the center of the screen horizontally. since i have to pull the power cable and power cycle the system to boot it properly i've decided i should try to get the Asus working.

my guesses. for the Asus i think the BIOS is tossed. i've been unable to find a place to purchase a new ROM chip with a loaded BIOS on it. no floppy drive. for the MSI i'm on my arse with it. it was running during an electrical storm and i think that's what has caused all these strange problems.

this is where i beg you guys. HELP!!!

i had usb issues with my old MSI k8n neo2 nforce3 ultra board, i had spoken to MSI before and they informed me that a bios update might fix the issues. at the same time i had bought my abit an8 fatal1ty and switched em out.. so never got around to fixing the msi :p

hmm not sure what's going on with the a8n sli tho, it's very close to the board im running. i had some issues with long boot times on mine, would take forever to POST. my problem happened when my computer blue screened a few too many times, thx in part to nVidia's crappy driver support with new drivers and the 7800gtx cards.. bios would undetect one of my sata ports, shutting off one of my raptors in my raid array.. was able to kill power, reset cmos, unplug the cables and reseat em, go back into bios and set em back up again..

havent had that kind of problem since i got my new HD4870 though

i don't have too many thoughts on what your problem is if your hardware is working fine on the other board.. have you tried using just a single stick of mem?
how did you acquire the new board? something that you've had lying around? got it used off ebay? (i did! lol)

well i always had good fortune with getting the msi to boot windows with a keyboard. maybe i can update the bios through windows. i think that board had a tool capable of that. CoolRom Most extreme chip ever needed.

I know the A8N32's had some issues with the legacy USB. Didn't hear about that problem with your board but it might be worth a shot to disable it (and everything else you're not using!) if you haven't already done so ...

Back