• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual-boot vista/xp /ntldr problem.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

schnikies79

I recently changed my main rig over to Vista 64bit and put XP on a 10gb partition at the end of the main drive to use for legacy apps.

I went through the procedure to restore the vista boot manager, so vista boots fine now, but when I select XP from the list (i used vistabootpro to add xp, which is installed on drive d), i get a /ntldr is missing error. Here is a paste from EasyBCD:

-----------------------------------------------------------
There are a total of 2 entries listed in the Vista Bootloader.
Bootloader Timeout: 30 seconds.
Default OS: Windows Vista (TM) Business

Entry #1

Name: Windows Vista (TM) Business
BCD ID: {current}
Drive: C:\
Bootloader Path: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows Directory: \Windows

Entry #2

Name: Windows XP Professional
BCD ID: {ntldr}
Drive: D:\
Bootloader Path: \ntldr
---------------------------------------------------

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I had a simular issue. TBH - I forgot exactly what I did to fix it, but "Vista Boot Pro" is what I used :)

I think the NTLDR file needs to preside on the Vista Boot Drive, but don't quote me on that...

:cool:

I've been digging around and I can across a post on another forum that said somewhat the same thing. I used "vista boot pro", but still no luck.

I'm still at it!

I think you have to install NTLDR on the root Vista partition (or wherever the boot file lives for Vista). Beyond that I honestly forgot exactly what I did to make it work. I'm not in front of my PC (I'm at work) but when I get home I'll see if I can open VistaBootPro to see what I did :)

Sorry :(

Figured it out! Here is the procedure for future reference.

Dual Boot

*NOTES*
1. These instructions are using the XP edition without Service Pack 2.
2. To use the Vista that comes with the computer first install it and then make a copy of it using some backup partitioning software. Finally, when it is time to install Vista just restore that copy to the C: drive.

1. Use the XP CD to clear the hard drive.
2. Use the XP CD to create 2 partitions. Make C: 50GB and give D: the rest (about 78 GB).
3. Install XP in the D: drive (Partition 2).
4. When asked about how the computer is connected to the internet choose: DSL-NEXT- No, this computer is always connected to the internet.-NEXT- Obtain IP automatically/ Obtain DNS automatically.-NEXT- No, Remind me every few days.-FINISH.
5. Put all drivers on XP to update it. also copy boot.ini (its in the D partition and not in any folders or anything like that.) save this copy on a cd or such
6. Install Vista in the C: drive (Partition 1).
7. When in Vista make a copy of the D: drive which is XP using some backup partitioning software.
8. Delete the D: drive. So now there should only be Vista and unallocated space.
9. Use Vista’s Disk Management to extend the C: drive to 150GB. This should leave about 148GB left in unallocated space.
10. Use the backup partitioning software to restore the D: drive. Restore it to the 148GB of unallocated space.
11. Now when in Vista go to Disk Management and make sure Vista is your System drive, it is the C: drive, and it is the first drive listed. Also, check to see that XP is on the D: drive, is a primary partition, and is the second drive listed. Make sure both say they are healthy.
12. Go to Tools (Can be found in classic menu)/ Folder Options/ View and click Show Hidden Folders and unclick Hide Protected Operating System Files.
13. Copy NTLDR (Found on XP CD in I386 folder) and NTDETECT (Found on XP CD in I386 folder) to the XP Partition (Just on the D: drive and not in any folders).
14. Then go to the CD and right click on boot.ini and select edit. Make sure it reads
[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
if it doesn’t then edit it so it does. (Last 2 lines are 1 line)
15. Then copy boot.ini to the XP Partition in the same place as NTLDR and NTDETECT.
16. Now copy NTLDR, NTDETECT, and boot.ini to the Vista Partition (Just on the C: drive and not in any folders).
17. Install EasyBCD 1.6 Then open EasyBCD (do not worry about the error message that comes up. Just make sure it says C: and click continue).
18. Go to Add/ Remove Entries and add Windows XP using the C: drive.
19. Go to Configure Boot and edit the names to Windows Vista and Windows XP. Or whatever you choose of names

That sounds much more complicated that what I did with Vista Boot Pro...

I really think this can be solved with VistaBootPro and your existing installs... I'll peek at my PC when I get home...

I didn't mess with the beginning part, but I did use Vista Boot Pro to add xp to the list. Thats where I got my prob.

Basically I just copied and pasted ntldr, ntdetect and created boot.ini in notepad. It worked, so who knows!

Good to hear! I think that might have been what I did, but I'm a flake and still can't remember :)

Back