• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two pumps better than one?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PIMPDURB

Registered
I am trying to watercool my CPU (q6700) and two gpu's (GTX9800+). This is the pump i am thinking about using. Swiftech MCP655-B 12v DC Pump w/Tach Sensor. I will be using a thermochill PA120.3. Does anyone know if this pump will do the job or should I get two?

:welcome: to the forums!

That is a very nice pump and should handle three blocks and a triple radiator no problem.

look at martins flow rate estimator (http://www.martinsliquidlab.com/), if you are over 1gpm with your chosen blocks (or even maybe .7) then most of the charts show your temperature differential won't be more then .5C or so with higher flow (and the extra heat dump for the 2nd pump will likely hurt temps more then the flow would help), you only need a 2nd pump or a stronger pump if you flow is getting much below 2.5lpm (really 2lpm but some leeway is always good). Unless you are going with a an ek supreme and two fuzion gpu v1's (most restirctive cpu and gpu blocks) you should be fine (and even with those 3 the 655 would probably be ok) You might want to look at the 655 instead of the B (the regualr 655 is variable and the 655b is set to roughly 4/5 of the 655) it will give you a decent increase in flow without much increase in cost (and easier then a 2nd pump or an iwaki).

Dont buy the MCP655-B one. You cannot adjust the speed if you find it too noisy. Take the normal MCP-655 that come with rpm adjuster.(setting 1-5).
If I am not mistaken the MCP655-B is fixed at setting 4.

If it is me I would make 2 loop rather than one. You will get best temperature for your cpu because no heat dump from the SLI.
2xmcr320 OR one PA120.3 and one mcr320 would be good choice depend on your budget.

thanks for the input. Sounds like I will start with 1 pump and see how it works. I am new to this computer building thing. It is great to see how nice and helpful everyone is in these forums.

thanks for the input. Sounds like I will start with 1 pump and see how it works. I am new to this computer building thing. It is great to see how nice and helpful everyone is in these forums.

Actually the MCP-655 is pretty reliable. So you dont actually need second pump for redudancy unless you want some more head pressure for restrictive loop.
But then again if you want some head pressure better use DDC3.2 connect ed in series.

It a good idea for one loop if you just starting to get involved in WC.
You can throw some extra loop later if you have some more time , space and $$. :-D

Back