• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

EVGA 780i mobo and 8GB of Ram compatability. Please Help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PIMPDURB

Registered
I am trying to put together a computer for the first time. I want to use the 780i FTW with 8GM or DDR2? Has anyone had experience with these below? If so, what would you recommend? Thanks in advance

OCZ Reaper HPC 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227289
mushkin 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146785
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1100 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231194Has anyone used these in the 8GB configuration? If not, what ram would you recommend for 8GB that is stable at 1066? Thanks

Wow, my first computer had 1GB of RAM, and that was more than enough. Still can't think of any reason to go with more than 4GB. Unless you are building a super workstation. Are you?

Mushkin, Gskill have worked very well for me in the past on the NF4 platform and 939.

Patriot Viper or EP 2x2GB or Corsair Dominator 2x2GB have both worked very well in my 680i. The Patriots are in a 780i now and are running 1125MHz happily.
Very good price on those Corsair Dominator 1066 sets with the cooling fan right now though. I picked up a set for $139.00 after rebate which are now in my 680:
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX20277(ME).aspx
Patriot Vipers:
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX21022(ME).aspx

I'm running 8GB of gskill in a 780i, works flawlessly

Make sure your running a x64 O/S by the way

does it really matter honestly, just trying to help the guy out.

But since you ask, I do quite a bit of video editing/encoding and spend a lot of time in photoshop with extremely large file...and from time to time I like to load up a ram drive.

I too used 1GB for many years, evolved to 2GB, then to 4GB, and now I used 8GB...each time with a noticeable difference in performance.
You may not need 8gb, but I have seen it be quite useful in what I do. Vista x64 can & will eat up 4GB depending on what your doing, and the fact that you can get 8gb of ram for next to nothing sure doesn't hurt.
Overclocking isn't always necessary either, but I sure like it :D

I also have servers with 16GB - 32GB of ram :)

Last edited:
Sry Codeman, I should have added that it was an honest question.
I asked what you used it for, out of curiosity. Truly, what do you need that much ram for? How does it help? I honestly don't know. Thank you for answering.

When exactly do you find that Vista x64 chews up more than 4GB??????
Do you find that it stresses your NB to have that much RAM in there?
How does it affect your OC?

All honest questions, curious for future reference.

I've thrown in my 2cents for the OP, just want to ask a question now.

EDIT: I should add that I have a 680i and 780i, and I also was interested in seeing how much RAM people have been fitting in these things.

Last edited:
sorry if I came off bitter ;)

Personally, I like to disable the pagefile. With 4GB of ram in Crysis with Very High settings, the system would swap on the pagefile and I noticed a bit of a FPS gain and more importantly...smoother gameplay with the additional ram. I have noticed this as well in a few other games with Vista, but Crysis was the most apparent.

In photo shop I easily exceed 4GB on a regular basis, that was the initial reason for upgraded. If I'm multitasking, I also occasionally see 4+ GB of use (I'm at 3.5 right now for example).
Sometimes I'll load a full game into a ramdrive for the heck of it, pretty cool to see maps instantly load, etc...

The extra ram did not effect my overclock or stability. I'm sure that it does limit the max overclock (4 sticks typically do slightly worse than 2), but right now my CPU tops out before the memory so it has worked out well.

I do agree that 4GB should be sufficient for most people, but if you go with more...in most cases, I don't think it would hurt you.
So overkill, could be, but nice to know that I do not have to worry about running out.

To quote Vixro from another thread

"In vista your extra RAM is used for superfetching. So any application you commonly use will be cached into the RAM. This means that the load times and close times of anything you use a lot will be SIGNIFICANTLY shorter. The more RAM you have, the more will be used. It's not like XP where the usage is just dependent based on what you have open and you'd really have to open a lot of stuff to max it out. It's all just used to make the system feel that much snappier."

Pretty much sums it up nicely. Ram is no longer limited to what you do. Vista will make awesome use of all the ram you have.

sorry if I came off bitter ;)

Personally, I like to disable the pagefile. With 4GB of ram in Crysis with Very High settings, the system would swap on the pagefile and I noticed a bit of a FPS gain and more importantly...smoother gameplay with the additional ram. I have noticed this as well in a few other games with Vista, but Crysis was the most apparent.

In photo shop I easily exceed 4GB on a regular basis, that was the initial reason for upgraded. If I'm multitasking, I also occasionally see 4+ GB of use (I'm at 3.5 right now for example).
Sometimes I'll load a full game into a ramdrive for the heck of it, pretty cool to see maps instantly load, etc...

The extra ram did not effect my overclock or stability. I'm sure that it does limit the max overclock (4 sticks typically do slightly worse than 2), but right now my CPU tops out before the memory so it has worked out well.

I do agree that 4GB should be sufficient for most people, but if you go with more...in most cases, I don't think it would hurt you.
So overkill, could be, but nice to know that I do not have to worry about running out.

Well, I read somewhere once, that the first most important thing to know about your ram is not what the timings are, or frequency or brand, but if you have enough. I can certainly agree with this.

I have a 780i with 8gb of ram (2x2 kingston valuram + 2x2 OCZ reaper)

I have noticed nothing yet, however in the past, i have noticed my original 4gb being tapped out completely. Doesn't happen very often but for an extra $45 i doubled my memory? Couldn't go wrong. Vista idles @ 2gb used now and easily goes over 3 but have not see it fully tapped since the ugprade.

Ok CodeMan, what do you use 8GB of ram for?

I have 8gb of G skills on my 780i

Win7 x64

Currently running?

3 instances of EvE
Firefox with 20 tabs open currently
IE running a police scanner
Prime95 running
Remote desktop running to my secondary rig doing my questionnaire for my security clearance
GPU and CPUZ
Real temp and Coretemp
and I am only at about 65% used.

Back