• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

bios udate asus P5E first time!!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gottcha

Are there any tips?? I know not to update it from windows. But plan on doing it from a flash drive. Does it need to bee formated and formated to what? um yeah let me know anything that could help. Thanks

I just use any USB Key. Format as FAT32 and copy the BIOS file over. I prefer to update from the BIOS itself. Being plugged into a UPS is a FABULOUS idea, and I won't update my BIOS unless I'm on one...

:cool:

cool thatnks for the fast reply. I have the original 0107 bios and i am running the q6600 which requires the 203 bios. its working now but i wounder what it could be with the correct bios and if i'm updating it anyways why not go for the latest one 702???

edit: Do I need to reset the bios to default before flashing??

Last edited:
edit: Do I need to reset the bios to default before flashing??

Nope. But you can usually SAVE your current OC Profile in BIOS. Then, flash to the new BIOS. Then load BIOS defaults, THEN load your prevous profile (It should still be saved in the BIOS IIRC).

Good luck!

I never flashed the bios on an oc'ed machine. That's just asking for trouble. I set speeds to stock, then I commence the flash. Bad enough I flashed thru windows and borked my board once. Now i go the DOS mode and use a floppy drive.

It pays to be safe :p

Good point - Nebulous. in that case, you can still SAVE your current OC Profile before you revert back to stock speeds. Then you should be able to recover your OC Profile AFTER flashing...

I reset everything to stock, copied file to usb drive, hit alt - f2 selected file and waitted............ it said it was done and would reboot in 5 sec........blank screen............blank screen...............WTF!!!!!!!blank screen.....stomack not feeling so good..........................oh what the..... held power button in for 4 sec shut down then restarted....yeah i posted!!!!............something about boot manager not found????? checked bios and found it saw my main 500gig sata drive(the vista OS) but it was not an option to boot from!?!?!?!?!?!?! shut down then unplugged drives then plugged back in..... reboot.... It found the main drive and OH now it can't find the secondary drive(the one with all the important stuff on it!!!!GAMES) vista found it after it got to windows and all data save. reoverclocked and all is well. I now have a P5E flashed to bios 702 !!!

Thanx for all the replys!!

Sweet! Usually after the flash it would show " Reprogramming of Bios rom complete, blah blah will reboot in 5.4.3.2.1" then you get that blank screen staring you in the face. I just reboot after a few seconds of that then hit DEL to get back into the bios.

Recheck to be sure all is well in the default menu and restart. Let windows do it's thing. Then I give it a few minutes @ stock speed, surf the net, blah blah.

Once that all checks out, then I reboot go into bios and reset my clocks and reboot, done :D

Glad it worked out for you.

I have never flashed my bios and after reading this I don't think I will.:eek: Saving profile what is that. I thought all you had to do was download to a flash drive then run from there easy peasy. Sounds way more complex. Also why do you have to reset bios to default and not update an overclocked system?

Don't be worried about it. It was pretty much that easy. download rom file follow steps on screen and that was it. In my case it just didn't reboot when it said it was going to, and for some resaon it didn't see my 500gig main drive as an boot option although it was detected in the bios. that was just wierd. I have to say that it seems quicker to post and to shut down now that i have updated it.

dicko55: Fisrt off nice name. If your board needs to be flashed just reseach it. I found that mine could be flashed from windows! but after some looking around the failure rate was really high. and everone said the usb is the way to update it. I now feel comfortable doing it and would not hesitate to do it again.

Thanks again for all the help everyone!!

I have a whole lot more memory timmings that i have no qule what to set at...... any one have any ideas?

Last edited:
I have never flashed my bios and after reading this I don't think I will.:eek: Saving profile what is that. I thought all you had to do was download to a flash drive then run from there easy peasy. Sounds way more complex. Also why do you have to reset bios to default and not update an overclocked system?

Certain boards have this feature that you can save multiple bios profiles. For example if you want to oc several ways then you can save each bios profile in accordance to each oc.

There's more chances of something going wrong with the flash with an oc'ed machine than with stock. For example corrupting the bios rom file. If this happens while flashing the bios, your board is toast.

Thanks gottcha and Nebulous for the tips I will look to see if I can save profiles with my board the set bios to default have a few scotches and think about flashing my bios. I don't really want to toast my board. Not now anyway.:)

Are there any tips?? I know not to update it from windows. But plan on doing it from a flash drive. Does it need to bee formated and formated to what? um yeah let me know anything that could help. Thanks

I've been updating from Windows for YEARS. I think I've done at least 9 out of the 12 DS3 updates... never really had any trouble.

(Though I usually took the precaution of updating from 2003 Server: Less of a chance of catastrophe... ;) )

Back