• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No Sound on Mac Mini

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

G3F0RC3<>R4D30N

I have no sound on my Mac Mini... I haven't the slightest idea what happened. I muted it earlier while it was playing through a playlist on iTunes and I had to take a phone call. I restarted without unmuting it and afterwards I have no sound.

Garageband gives me: "Core Audio- Selected Driver not found. (-10202)"
I have reset the SMC
I ran the Hardware Diagnostic with the OSX Install disc, no problems found
I have restarted over 5 times

It was just bought in April and runs OSX 10.5.4.. I am about to go nuts and Google is not helping..

Thanks

I have no sound on my Mac Mini... I haven't the slightest idea what happened. I muted it earlier while it was playing through a playlist on iTunes and I had to take a phone call. I restarted without unmuting it and afterwards I have no sound.

Garageband gives me: "Core Audio- Selected Driver not found. (-10202)"
I have reset the SMC
I ran the Hardware Diagnostic with the OSX Install disc, no problems found
I have restarted over 5 times

It was just bought in April and runs OSX 10.5.4.. I am about to go nuts and Google is not helping..

Thanks

Google'ing around, this appears to be a known issue with Mac Mini's. I would take your Mac to a Mac store or call in for warranty info. If you don't want to mess with that you could try reinstalling OS X. Also one post I read said that the user turned off his Mac Mini, unplugged all the cables, let it sit over night, then reconnected and restarted and magically the sound came back. So you might get lucky.

Google'ing around, this appears to be a known issue with Mac Mini's. I would take your Mac to a Mac store or call in for warranty info. If you don't want to mess with that you could try reinstalling OS X. Also one post I read said that the user turned off his Mac Mini, unplugged all the cables, let it sit over night, then reconnected and restarted and magically the sound came back. So you might get lucky.

I have opened my Mac Mini and I checked the audio cable... It's not the first time I have opened it, I opened it previously because of some fan noise issues, I fixed that easily. I would rather fix something myself than take it to an Apple store, that's just me. There's nothing they can do that I cannot. And the nearest Apple Store is ~130 miles away and I need the Mini before I move to my new house in Dallas, lol.

I am reinstalling right now as an Archive and Install... If that doesn't work then I will just wipe the whole thing.

I saw that story where the guy left it overnight... That sounds like he just reset the SMC... I have noticed something with Apple computers, the smaller the more problem-prone.. *Cough*Macbook Air*Cough*Mac Mini*clears throat*

I got it fixed... Archive and Install worked and I have sound.... This is weird and I had to sit through an hour of reinstalling..

Im not 100% positive, but i think timemachine might backup all your settings... it might save you some time, that is, if it happens again.

For the initial backup, Time Machine copies the entire contents of the computer to your backup drive. It copies every file exactly (without compression), skipping caches and other files that aren’t required to restore your Mac to its original state. Following the initial backup, Time Machine makes only incremental backups — copying just the files that have changed since the previous backup. Time Machine creates links to any unchanged files, so when you travel back in time you see the entire contents of your Mac on a given day.

Back