• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P5B CPU Upgrade

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kev73

I've upgraded my P5B from an E6400 to E8500. BIOS version 1803.

On the first reboot after the upgrade I've got the message that a new CPU was recognised. I entered the BIOS and could see that the E8500 was recognized. I did not set the default settings but just save and exit.

On reboot I've got the message that my processor has not been recognized in this BIOS version.

I rebooted again but got no POST screen (no video signal). There was one long and three short beeps.

I did a CMOS reset but it did not help.

Once I got one long and three short beeps and after about 10 seconds 3 short beeps.

I've tried a few more times to start. About every 10th time the I get the POST screen. It shows the BIOS version 1803 which should be compatible with the new CPU. It also shows that the CPU is the E8500

The error message is either Unknown CPU detected or overclocking failed. When I press F1 to continue nothing happens.

Please advise.

Thanks for your help,
Daniel

If you can enter the BIOS, load "Optimized Defaults" and manually change the multiplier to 9.5 and the FSB to 333MHz.

I changed the multiplier to 9.5 and the FSB to 333 MHz. It did not help.

Any other ideas?

Thanks,
Daniel

Back