• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Some questions about Evga and the GTX280

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JonSimonzi

My current card is made by Xfx, and I couldn't have been happier with it. I love their 1+1 lifetime warranty. Covers me for just about anything, including overclocking, and the next person I sell it too? Is Evga's warranty the same way? Me + the next person that owns the card, coving everything including OCing? I know they have the step up program, but I don't plan on getting rid of my GTX280 I'm going to buy in 3 months >.<

Onto the GTX280 itself, does it come with some kind of 8 pin power connector? My PSU only has 2x 6 pin connectors, no 8 pins. I know I can buy 8 pin converter cables, but would hate to not buy one, get the card in, and not be able to use it :(

Thanks for any input :)

just to avoid confusion, are you stepping up to a GTX280? or buying a GTX280? If I were you, I'd rather save that money and buy a cheap 9800GX2, or wait for the 4870X2. As far as single PCI-e slot performance goes, those two cards are unbeatable. The GTX280 is kind of a dud performance/price wise.

If you're stepping up, then by all means pick up a GTX280, that's probably the only time I'd say that card is worth getting.

Do you plan on going SLI in the future?

Not stepping up, just buying. I use dual monitors, so unfortunately a multi GPU solution is out of the question. I was originally looking into something like the GX2 and a 2nd video card purely for the 2nd monitor, but have read of nothing but hassle after problems of getting Vista to recognize and use 2x different display drivers. I know Price/Performance, the GTX280 isn't the best, but in my situation it's either Nvidia's top of the line single GPU card, the GTX280, or ATI's top of the line single GPU card, the 4870. And between those two, the GTX280 does beat it out.

If I recall correctly, the GTX 280 uses one 6-pin and one 8-pin connection.

If I recall correctly, the GTX 280 uses one 6-pin and one 8-pin connection.

I know it uses both a 6 and an 8, was just wondering what kind of conversion cable it came with as my PSU, an OCZ 600w, only has 2x 6 pins.

So hold up. Crossfire works fine with multiple monitors? That is news to me. That will make me relook at 4850 CF. Although with the recent price drop on the GX2 I am going to do alot more research into using 2 video cards in Vista.

I remember back in the day using XP, I had 3x monitors with 2 video cards without a problem. My main card powering 2, then a cheapo PCI card to power the third. No problem at all, no hassle. No I'm reading all this stuff about how Vista doesn't like 2 display drivers, and causing all these issues and hassles for multiple monitors with more than one GPU. Sucks, I'd be all over a $265 GX2 :(

My current card is made by Xfx, and I couldn't have been happier with it. I love their 1+1 lifetime warranty. Covers me for just about anything, including overclocking, and the next person I sell it too? Is Evga's warranty the same way? Me + the next person that owns the card, coving everything including OCing? I know they have the step up program, but I don't plan on getting rid of my GTX280 I'm going to buy in 3 months >.<

Onto the GTX280 itself, does it come with some kind of 8 pin power connector? My PSU only has 2x 6 pin connectors, no 8 pins. I know I can buy 8 pin converter cables, but would hate to not buy one, get the card in, and not be able to use it :(

Thanks for any input :)

No eVGA's warranty is not transferable to a second owner.

The GTX280 requires and 8-pin and 6-pin PCIe aux connectors.

Viper

Back