• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Black mesh fan filter DIY? Plastic to cover dremel cuts?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Essenar

Here's what I want to do:
I want to cut the three 5 1/4" drive bay covers at the front of my case, and then custom make a fan mount for a 120mm fan on the inside, intake. Then I want to cover the cut holes with a very low resistance mesh that'll filter some of the dust. I want to use a plastic rim, a'la weather strip from cars, to cover the dremel cuts.

Then on my side window, I want to cut the window where the GPU is, and place another 120mm fan there, with a vibration shroud, then make the same mesh filter along with the weather strip/rim to cover the cuts. I also want to drill the fan holes in the window.

Then at the top of the case, in front of the power supply, I'd like to make an exhaust fan. 120mm of course, with the custom mount, mesh and rim/weather strip.

Then the bottom 5 1/4" bay drive, will be where I install the Sunbeam Rheobus with the DIY lowered LED mod done to it.

Here are the pictures:

centurionfanmeshyx6.jpg

centurionwindowza6.jpg

What I'd like to know is:
What's the best material and where to find for the rim and for the mesh?

Where's the best place to buy 120mm fan mounts or shrouds to absorb shock and help me line up the cuts?

Is this a good set up for air flow? The GPU fan is going to be an intake fan, seeing as the 4850 cooler is an exhaust and the aftermarket cooler I'll set up will be exhaust as well.

The custom front fan will be intake to the CPU and memory. The exhaust fan at the top will take away any rising heat from the CPU/memory/northbridge.

Is this a good set up for air flow? The GPU fan is going to be an intake fan, seeing as the 4850 cooler is an exhaust and the aftermarket cooler I'll set up will be exhaust as well.

I noticed that single slot and even some double slot coolers will not move air out of the case properly, what results is a circular flow of heat in the video card then back to the case, then back in again. Bascially it's cyclic and results in both higher ambient and GPU temps. A side exhaust might be better in this case. I have tested it with two different cards, one dual slot one single slot, and both had lower temps (2-3 degrees) from a side exhaust.

Also, I would put my hand on the window near the fan to check the temperture, and indeed the window would be hot when the side fan was intake, but cool when it was exhaust.

Here's your mesh and i've seen boxes for a 120mm fan to fit into the 5.25in bays. Not sure where, but i'm sure someone could link you to it. With the linked mesh, you shoudn't have to cut anyting. You could ziptie the 120mm fan to the holes in the sides of the optical bays. Does your case have legs of any sort? A bottom mounted fan, similar to the CM690 bottom fan is ideal as it blows cool outside air directly at the intake of a GPU. It alone keeps my 8800GTS 512 5-7C cooler at idle and closer to 10C cooler on load.

Axis

Back