• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New type of Seti@Home WU & App coming .. Astropulse!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

svirfnebli

Well I was reading through the Seti @ Home website today trying to figure out what the hell was going on with thier servers today (I couldnt get any Work Units) when I came across this headline on thier home page...

"We've started creating work for SETI@home's new Astropulse application. At first we will just create a small amount, but we expect to enter full production next week."

It looks like these work units process a lot more information, and they run from inside SETI @ Home.. However, if you run Optimized apps (as we almost all do) then we are going to have to replace the app_info.xml. It looks like the astropulse application will download automatically.. I guess this means that someone is going to have to write Astropulse optimizers..

So here are the highlights of the article:

1) The run times compared to SETI@home enhanced are long (sometimes a week or more).
2) you should receive the same number of credits per second for astropulse as for seti@home
3) If you have already attached your computer to SETI@home (non optimized apps) and you use the default application, then you don't have to do anything
4) In addition to ET, Astropulse might detect other sources, such as rapidly rotating pulsars, exploding primordial black holes, or as-yet unknown astrophysical phenomena (In your face people who say seti doesnt do anything!)

Click HERE for the science behind astropulse...

Click HERE for the Astropulse FAQ.

The deep gnome.

Hmmm, sounds like us dedicated users won't be switching anytime soon, though I'd love to run it.
No optimization = loss of crunching power. :-/

But I'll probably give it a try on one of my machines just for grins. Won't lose much if the FX-55 isn't optimized ... ;)

Great to see Berkeley finally got it up and running!

Now I just need to finish those 2 CPDN workunits that Ive been crunching for the last 1400 hours on my c2d. Only 700 left to go :D

Great to see Berkeley finally got it up and running!

Now I just need to finish those 2 CPDN workunits that Ive been crunching for the last 1400 hours on my c2d. Only 700 left to go :D

What is a CPDN work unit? I've never heard of it.. 1400 HOURS?! On a core2duo? Holy crap!

woooah this sounds pretty cool, for now ill probably put a slow machine to crunching astropulse just to see what its about

What is a CPDN work unit? I've never heard of it.. 1400 HOURS?! On a core2duo? Holy crap!

CPDN (climateprediction.net) is a project like Seti that you can run on BOINC.
You simulate Earths atmosphere for about 160 years in half an hour timesteps. The computation takes very long time but you get credit for every 1% you crunch I think. I already recieved 32k credits for 65% that I completed.
One WU takes about 2000hours on my comp in sig OCed to 3Ghz.

Back