• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

9800gt release

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

BlackEdition

hey all, today marks the day of the 9800gt release (among others...).

however, i don't think that the 9800gt is going to make the splash that the 8800gt did upon release, as it seems as though the 9800gt is just a rebranded 8800gt. i would like to believe otherwise, though. please post any information you see on the new 9800gt (benches, pricing, etc...).

i would really like to see the 9800gt vs 8800gt comparison... they probably will perform identically... who knows, maybe nvidia will surprise us...

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=8662&Itemid=1

I heard it had the same clock speeds, just a rebranded 8800GT. C'mon Nvidia, stop shoving the same old crap down our throats.

all i need is a bios mod and my 8800gt could magically become a 9800gt :D

also take note, the 9800gt now supports 3 way SLI , so that is also new, "a big MEH who cares imho"

found this over at pureoverclock.com

GeForce 9800GT is the successor the quite popular performance segment card GeForce 8800GT. The latter is based on the G92-270 core, and has been stripped of one shader cluster, which means that it has only 112 shader processors. The price and relative overclocking potential of the card has made it a sales success and one of the most common cards among mid-range benchmarkers. The GeForce 9800GT has been said to be quite similar and according to the review published by Chinese it168.com, it is.

I heard it had the same clock speeds, just a rebranded 8800GT. C'mon Nvidia, stop shoving the same old crap down our throats.

Why, people buy it, if it didn't work, they wouldnt do it, remember average joe blow see's more clock speed they think it is a much better card!

Why, people buy it, if it didn't work, they wouldnt do it, remember average joe blow see's more clock speed they think it is a much better card!
But why did the 8800GT sell better than the HD 3870 then? :D And I'm pretty sure the 9800GT runs at the same clocks as the 8800GT.

Apparently only some of the 9800GT will be 55nm, some will still be 65nm. Would've made more sense to have them all as 55nm at least then there would be something different but nVidia stopped making sense a long time ago.

Stock clock speeds are exactly the same btw.

Ugh , nvidia is just flooding the market with confusion...
Maybe that's what they want to do.

Actually, I think they're just trying to get their naming scheme sorted out. It's so completely messed up at the moment, nobody (except for us) can understand it. Most people probably think that the 9600GT is better than the 8800GT.

Last edited:
Really!

You think it would be impairing the HELL out of production costs to have SO many models for what essentially is a mix up of two or three REAL products.

They should just start naming all the cards after core/interface/ram size/speed
but where's the fun in that i guess :shrug:

Back