• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Laptop LCD back light replacement possible?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

soundfx4

I've worked on a lot of laptops and the solution to a dead back light has always been to replace the LCD assembly, but after searching for a replacement LCD for a Toshiba Satellite A105, I stumbled across this on ebay;

http://cgi.ebay.com/LCD-CCFL-BACKLI...ryZ16145QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

It looks to be an actual back light but...I've never heard of actually taking the LCD apart and replacing the light itself. This doesn't seam possible, or at the very least, it doesn't seam feasible. With a much cheaper price, it's very tempting, but I'm not even sure if something like that can be done. What say ye fellow ocforum members, has anyone heard of this being done before?

Well since you mentioned replacing the whole LCD assembly anyway, why not give it a try? Worse comes to worse, you have to buy a new assembly and lost 20 bucks for a meaningful experiment, that could save you hundreds in the future...

Here is a link that might be of help, to know what you might expect:

http://www.keithwakeham.com/lcd.htm

Good luck,

bryan d

PS - I know you will be using a real CCFL, but the tutorial is awesome nonetheless.

Taking appart a display isnt that tough really. just need a really fine flathead and a razor blade to cut the silver tape.
cut it over the frame so you dont damage the ffc underneth it and gently pry the tabs around the frame untill it pops up. on mine, the lcd wasnt adhered to the frame, but i cant speak for all.

removing the ccfl is pretty easy after.

I;ve heard that's it easy and very doable for someone with mechanical ability. That being said I have looked at replacement ccfl's and have never seen one that was worthwhile for less then $50. And with that being said $20 is also cheap enough for a good experiment and some luck. They may have come down in price since I looked a couple years ago.

awesome news ^^ I'm just gonna go for it in that case!

I'll just checked out that guide, and holy craps, that's awesome. Ugg...I don't know anything about LCDs other than how to replace the entire assembly though, might be something to play with :D Thanks for all the info everyone :soda:

Back