• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this a good E8400/FSB overclock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Pro Noob

Disabled
See screenshot. Is this a good overclock (FSB and CPU) for an E8400 at this voltage? Seems stable....time will tell. I am barely (just now) getting to oc my rig since Gigabyte FINALLY released an official bios release to fix the issue of the vCore changes not sticking. Now I should be able to overclock like the cool people.

Thanks! Any advice is much appreciated.

Attachments

• mega_slayer.JPG
    mega_slayer.JPG
    188.2 KB · Views: 365
Megadeth Rocks:attn:

BTW, the clock is nice too:bday:

If it is stable at that speed and voltage, you are doing really well.

I'd say a higher multiplier is probably needed, since a high FSB won't make up for more megahertz.

The OP is using a 7.5x multi, so there's certainly more multiplier that could be used.

500FSB is a nice start, I used 483 x 9 for my E8400 only because at 483 I could get the tightest northbridge timings (tRD vlaue) and 966Mhz was the edge of stability for my DDR2 ram at 4-4-4-12 timings.

I believe the upper limit on my E8400 was about 585FSB (in terms of upper FSB speeds reachable), upper clock was about 550 x 8 = 4400 at anything near sane volts (~1.5v)

Thanks for the replies guys!

LOL, well it wasn't stable after all. I ran Prime fine for a while (~ 1 hour) but I spoke too soon. When I ran 3DMark06, I would get graphical errors and freezes during that green and pink light test. When I closed 3DMark, I had a message saying that my nvidia driver had stopped working correctly and that I needed to reboot. Since I had made no GPU adjustments at that point, I went ahead and made the following changes: CPU @ 476 x 8 (3.8 Ghz), FSB @1904 effective, RAM @ 952 effective, same vCore. I can now run 3DMark06 with no problems. My FSB must have been too high, so hopefully this will be stable!

I'm wondering if the issue was with my mobo or RAM. I guess I could run some tests, but I'm far too lazy to do that at the moment. Anyone happen to know off hand if my mobo or OCZ RAM has this certain oc limit?

Megadeth Rocks:attn:

Hell yeah!! So does Guns 'N Roses! :attn:

Last edited:
Well, here's a question to add to your "mobo or RAM" question :)

What "multiplier" did you use for your ram? Did you leave it set to auto, or did you adjust it to something else? My Gigabyte board (GA-X38-DS4) on "auto" setting uses 2.4x multiplier, so at 500FSB it would have been running the ram at 1200Mhz. I don't know about your OCZ, but my little 800mhz-rated D9 chips just aren't gonna do that without lots of extra volts and some cooling. And an expected lifespan of about three months ;)

So, you might try adjusting your memory speed away from "auto" and instead use the 2.00D or 2.00B setting (I currently use the latter...) This way your memory is at least closer to it's rated speed, albeit still over...

Well, here's a question to add to your "mobo or RAM" question :)

What "multiplier" did you use for your ram? Did you leave it set to auto, or did you adjust it to something else? My Gigabyte board (GA-X38-DS4) on "auto" setting uses 2.4x multiplier, so at 500FSB it would have been running the ram at 1200Mhz. I don't know about your OCZ, but my little 800mhz-rated D9 chips just aren't gonna do that without lots of extra volts and some cooling. And an expected lifespan of about three months ;)

So, you might try adjusting your memory speed away from "auto" and instead use the 2.00D or 2.00B setting (I currently use the latter...) This way your memory is at least closer to it's rated speed, albeit still over...

Yeah, default (auto) on my mobo is to use a 2.4x multiplier. I manually set it to 2.0 (which also yields a 1:1 ratio) because I always have POST issues with 2.4. Why it uses 2.4 for auto is beyond me...my RAM can't handle that since it's only PC6400 800Mhz.

Thanks for the tip though. :thup:

Well, looks like you hit all the obvious stuff. I'll propose one more thing that I just finished suggesting to someone else in another thread in this forum -- have you tried aiming a fat fan at your northbridge to see if it helps?

On the big overclock runs of my quad, I started running into odd stability problems with the Prime blend test -- I could do small FFT's for days and weeks at a time, but blend would puke in less than an hour, and any 3D game would simply BSOD or just lock the system solid.

After some tinkering, I discovered I was having heat issues on the northbridge. I ended up buying a little 60x60x25mm fan, strapping that bad boy to the stocker Gigabyte NB heatsink, and haven't had a single issue since.

Might be something worth investigating...

Back