• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

please help me overclock intel pentium d 2.8ghz

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mastercheif2253

Registered
ok, i have a intel pentium d 2.8ghz processor in a asus p5n-d mobo with bfg nvidia geforce 8600 gts factory o.c. with two 1 gig hynix ram modules in duel channel mode. could somebody please help me get my computer in top shape, im new to overclocking and the last time i tried to overclock my pentium d, it started to overheat even with the side of my case off and a fan blowing into it. please help!!!

First we need to take care of your cooling issue. I would reccomend the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme or the Tuniq Tower 120.

after that It is pretty straight forward by just raising your Front Side Bus (fsb) and make sure it is stable, by testing with Orthos. If it isn't stable raise your vcore just slightly and test again.

This is guided more towards the core2duo's and core2quads, but it gets the point across.

well, the reason it started overheating, is because i was using the AI overclocker in bios and had it set to 20%, i think it was a little to much. im just trying to get as much power out of this cheap processor until i can afford a core 2 duo.

Auto overclock uses alot more voltage then is usually needed, still the Pentium Ds are 2 prescott cores stuck together and will run quite hot no matter what. Are you only using stock cooling?

I'd say you might be able to get 3.2ghz or so without becoming too hot but who knows, first step should be to download a program that you can monitor your load temps during load, CoreTemp or RealTemp should do.

well, the reason it started overheating, is because i was using the AI overclocker in bios and had it set to 20%, i think it was a little to much. im just trying to get as much power out of this cheap processor until i can afford a core 2 duo.

Just buy a cooler. you will be able to use it on a c2d setup when you upgrade.

well i cant spend any money on any parts or anything thats my only problem. thats why i need help on actual overclocking, i wish i could get a thermolake cooler, or a water cooling system, but thus, im poor lol

As stated previously, it would be highly unwise to overclock and Smithfield core (yours) since they already produce alot of heat. If you cannot get another heat sink, then your overclocking options are severely limited, almost to the point where I cannot recommend it at all.

The Pentium D 820 i had ran really warm, about a 60C idle temps.

eye have had 3 "D"s 805/820/925 all got to 4.0 quite eazly

pent Ds take a lot of volts to get thier and thay are some of the HOTTEST processors out thier but a lot of fun to play with !

got to say like all the other pll you have GOT to get a better cooler to play with a D the stock cooler bearly makes it on stock speed
eye used a cheap 4 heatpipe cooler by thermaltake called the I1 with a 120mm fan on it that had 110cfm it was a silverstone (expensive fan) but a cheap 1200mm would probbly work fine

with the stock cooler 3.o ~ 3.2 is all your gonna see & it will overtemp on 100% load

also pent Ds can take a lot of volts without dieing ;) dont worry about the volts as mucs as TEMPS

put 1.4 volts into it and raze the fsb till it unstable then back back down to the last known fsb that was stable

mine needed 1.6 fsb volts for all that
1.5~ 1.6 sb/pll volts too
1.3 + vtt all to hit 4.0 on all of them

hint * if you have house ac get a cardboard duct to it and your comp will help a lot

eye keep a 120mm fan on the top of my comp box ducted to the house vent and it helps a bunch :)
heres an old screenie with 1.7 volts in it and ran that way for a year & still alive and well pent Ds will take volts not TEMPS

im trying what you suggested HDchopper. the only thing i cant do it the carboard to house ac, because my ac vents come out of the ceiling lol although that would look pretty cool. can you give me any suggestions on how much voltage i should put into my ram to overclock them as well

use factory spec's on ram eye never put more than 2.1 in mine thay are rated at 1.8~2.1volts ... dont know what you have but thier is a memory section here also

and my snorkel goes to the top of the wall hahaahahaha

eye was just saying 1.4 is a pretty safe volts for a D but eye have put 0ver 1.7 into em on air (not 24/7 just benching)

good luck

Back