• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Bravo kubuntu, Bravo... or not.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Forgive me if I don't share your indignation at an open source operating system that had a problem with a particular piece of hardware. =p

But you did the correct first step - odds are good if you're running a version behind this is the fix... and if not, try disabling ACPI.

I ran into this recently with Ubuntu, older version. Newer version fixed it.

Epox 9NPA
3800x2 @2200
4gb PC3200 DDR
250gb PATA
500gb PATA
CD-rw/DVD

installer wont boot, it just sits at the command prompt.

This very same disk was just used on a Compaq Evo D51e and installed VERY quickly..

Downloading the newest Kubuntu to retry this..

Hard to say what the problem was, maybe was being finicky over hardware or hardware configuration(BIOS settings).

I see this as being no different than Windows failing to install. If this is all new hardware test it. Try installing Windows, try a different Linux distro, see if the issue is hardware or software and then go from there.

I see this as being no different than Windows failing to install. If this is all new hardware test it. Try installing Windows, try a different Linux distro, see if the issue is hardware or software and then go from there.

Win2k, XP, will install without drivers. 98 will try but I didnt really want to waste my time seeing what would happen.

8.04 Kubuntu finally installed with no real fight. I just had to install it twice because the first one somehow was corrupted partly. multiple services never appeared but would run, the toolbars eventually completely locked up and a few other things.

Reinstalled KDE last night, and it worked with no issue at all.

I have found that if a *buntu disk that works on one machine doesnt work on another I grab the alternative install and all works fine. Not quite sure why this is. I had 7.1 install on 3 out of 4 computers and the 4th wouldnt go, got an alternative cd and away she went.

Also note that there is a "no splash" bug floating around affecting the odd computer. Computer 2 of 4 had this, once i disabled the quiet splash option this one was also fine with the regular disk

I've had Ubuntu freeze during the boot/install many times, although not recently. It was much more of an issue with older versions. However, I've also had the same happen installing various versions of Windows (usually on the part where it's autodetecting hardware in each case... this must be inherently difficult). Fortunately, I never have this issue with Gentoo, as it doesn't autodetect anything, I just configure it.

To paraphrase a quote I heard at one point:

Gentoo for when you really dont want to use your computer for a week.

that's not really true anymore with more modern processors. on my q6600, i went from install cd to working OS, without a window manager, in under an hour. it was probably closer to 45 minutes, but i have also installed gentoo a few times.

installing gnome, my personal preference, didn't take all that long either compared to what it used to on a single-core system. it wasn't like i had to leave it for a whole day and then some. i am not sure how long it took as i simply just left it over night while i slept and it was done in the morning.

And then end up with a few broken packages so you can start it over.

this can sometimes be true, but i have found more often than not it is because of something the user did (unmasked & emerged an ebuild that screwed up dependencies)

...and some people just like toying with their systems that much :D

And then end up with a few broken packages so you can start it over.

Gentoo isn't for everyone... however, the above is not true if you know what you are doing and actively maintain the health of your system. However, it takes some time to get to the point where you can do that, and a system left unmaintained for a while will become very hard to add new packages to or upgrade. A system that is kept in good health is another matter.

Also, my system is set up so that I can build a Gentoo system faster than an Ubuntu system. However, this took extensive customization on my own part and it took me years to get to that level of understanding.

Well, Linux is about choice, and that's a good thing. It may be unnecessary for you. However, for many who use Gentoo, it is by far the best OS and offers greater speed, flexibility, and features than other OS's (this is a largely subjective assessment and also varies based on an individual's needs and preferences). I can do things in Gentoo that I cannot do in any other OS, so for me, a few more minutes installing and configuring it is well worth it.

I have never claimed that Gentoo is the fastest or easiest install. It definitely is not. (Actually, Knoppix probably is... just put the livecd in and turn on the PC and you're running.) Installation time is far secondary to end functionality (we probably all agree on that) and Gentoo has far superior functionality for some of us (this is where we disagree). I don't know if you've used Gentoo. If you have and just don't really care for it, then that's fine. If you haven't, you really should use it for a while before making your decision on it. People usually have strong feelings about Gentoo... some absolutely hate it while some, like me, totally fall in love and cannot use anything else. I've tried (and continue to try) new OS's on a regular basis, including proprietary (MS, Apple) and free (many versions of Linux and BSD, other flavors of Unix, ReactOS, and others), yet I keep coming back to Gentoo.

One of the best things about free software is choice... there is no "best distro," only a best distro for a given person at a given time for a given application.

you are right about our agreeing and disagreeing points. i have used gentoo, but did not enjoy it. so i switched to mythbuntu. its even skinnier than xubuntu, and has everything i need and nothing i dont. anything else i want (wine, folding clients, tweaks) i just get myself. and from start to finish i have my OS installed/confiigured in a few hours. time mainly limited by my slow download speeds.

Back