• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5Q Deluxe and Ram?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TooTall

Registered
Hello All,

First, I’d like to thanks to all the selfless people that post their knowledge here for people like me to learn from. I’m heavily involved in imaging forums and it’s this altruistic behavior that makes the world go around!

I hope I’m in the right forum. I’m about to build a new PC around the P5Q Deluxe and Q9450. I don’t game, but I do heavy photoshop work in both large files and in batching large amount of files, converting raw to jpg. Hundreds and hundreds at a time. I doubt I will OC it, although I have the Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro LGA775 2500RPM 45CFM on my parts list. But I have read that going to 3.2 or 3.4 is fairly safe?

1) I wish to RAID 0 two WD6400AAKS for the OS and apps. Any issues that anyone can foresee? I’ve read about BOIS update problems but most of this goes over my head.

2) I’m stuck on ram. I understand that this board can take 16 gig? Adobe promises CS4 in a 64 bit version and with a 64-bit OS, will take all the ram that is available. I’m wondering what is the best way to put 16 gig in this box? For budget reasons, I’m thinking 8 gig for starting out with and then get another 8 gig in the spring. I’d hate to wish for 16 gig down the road and have all dimm slots filled with 4 x 2 gig sticks. Can you recommend 4 gig sticks for this board? Links would be helpful. Especially to NCIX as that’s where I’m ordering from.

3) I’m already using an Antec P180 with the power supply that came with. I think it’s 550W. Do you think this will be enough?

4) I don’t game and photoshop doesn’t need a good card. I have a 24” monitor and wish to add another soon. What card do you recommend that wont break the bank?

5) Vista 64 or XP 64? Which edition of Vista 64? I’m running XP 64 since it came out and am happy with it. Any benefit going with Vista 64? There’s no word from Adobe that they will support XP 64 but the latest version of Lightroom that also isn’t “supported” for XP 64, does indeed work flawlessly. Not sure if I should gamble on XP 64 seeing how CS4 is just around the corner?

6) Price drop on Intel Quads supposedly on Aug 10th? Worth waiting or is just a marginal price drop? I’m kind of eager!

7) I have other drives for scratch disk and storage, so no worries there.

I think that’s it! Any suggestion or tips are greatly appreciated. Thanks to all.

1. No issues as long as the OS you install has the drivers for the raid controller
2. Sorry about the no NCIX link but your choices are very limited when it comes to 4GB sticks. http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010170147+1052329188&name=8GB+(4+x+2GB) <-- sorry this link is bad, its for 4x 2GB. I thought it said 4GB x 2.
3. With your listed devices and default clock it should be fine. I went with an Antec 650 for the same type of build.
4. This is up to your budget. You don't really need much but you can get 8800GT's for $110, which is a very powerful card for a non-gamer.
5. Windows 2008 if you have a good understanding of how windows works is the best OS for the money (considering its free for 240~ days at a time). Vista64 otherwise, XP64 is not worth the time to install.
6. Waiting means cheaper.
7. Cool :)

1) looks like Vista 64 at the moment.
2) indeed, it does look like 4 x 2gb.
5) too risky for me with Windows 2008. Need something dummy proof.

cheers, mlambert.

First, :welcome: to the forum!

G.Skill is starting to supply 4G sticks (link to G.Skill). Newegg has 'em but a quick search doesn't show any at NCIX.

Making 3.2G should be fairly straight forward. Above that you'll be memory limited if you're using a PC2-6400 since 400Mhz with be ~max memory speed and the 8 cpu mulitiplier on the 9450 gives ya 3.2G.

cheers, deeppow!

what would you recommended then? Would the fastest 8 gig of ram out perform the slower 16gig of ram?

I've been reading about problems with the 640 WD's too and changing the AAM to 254 can be difficult with raid? I'm really anxious to get this box going! Thanks again!

cheers, deeppow!

what would you recommended then? Would the fastest 8 gig of ram out perform the slower 16gig of ram?

I've been reading about problems with the 640 WD's too and changing the AAM to 254 can be difficult with raid? I'm really anxious to get this box going! Thanks again!

TooTall,

I thought I remember a problem wih the WDs with some motherboards but wasn't sure. Sounds like you're on that problem. I assume you're checking with the storage forum here for details, that'll be your best bet to find good info.

Regarding 8G versus 16G memory:
- Yes the 8G will generally out perform the 16G however that difference should be minimal (typically around 1% or less). Going with 16G should be driven by your application needs since performance differences will be minimal. Also note that while most motherboards claim they can use a fully populated memory set of slots, my guess is that few have tested this claim using 16G. 16G that is fully utilized by an application will stress the Northbridge that at least in concept might be address with increased voltage to the NB. On the other hand, many (including myself) have used 8G on these boards so that should be reasonably assured. (Understand that this last point regarding 16G is only a comment, I don't know that it is a real problem.)
- Regarding overall performance, the biggest gains are to be made by running the CPU faster, i.e. overclocking the CPU. In general, memory speed and timings only have second order effects. This is another perspective of why you should select you memory size based on application needs, not performace.

I think I would tend to suggest 8G memory (4*2G) such as this G.Skill. Should you decide to investigate overclocking, this memory allows you flexibility to explore the easy to reach levels of overclocking (3G hz to 3.6Ghz) with your 9450. Yet if you don't overclock, I believe it will likely meet your application needs. :beer:

I have 640gb wd driver and it work fine, though not in raid. On the other hand board has problem with my dvd burner and couple of sata ports.

I run the 640's in Raid0 on the P5Q-deluxe. I have had no problems, even after switching the whaole array from an IP35-Pro board. If what you are talking about is the AAM problem and it beeing set to the lowest value, that is easily taken care of. Just read the thread in the Storage forum. It is easily done just by putting the drive in an existing system or there is a way to do it from a pre-o/s load.

TooTall,

I thought I remember a problem wih the WDs with some motherboards but wasn't sure. Sounds like you're on that problem. I assume you're checking with the storage forum here for details, that'll be your best bet to find good info.

Regarding 8G versus 16G memory:
- Yes the 8G will generally out perform the 16G however that difference should be minimal (typically around 1% or less). Going with 16G should be driven by your application needs since performance differences will be minimal. Also note that while most motherboards claim they can use a fully populated memory set of slots, my guess is that few have tested this claim using 16G. 16G that is fully utilized by an application will stress the Northbridge that at least in concept might be address with increased voltage to the NB. On the other hand, many (including myself) have used 8G on these boards so that should be reasonably assured. (Understand that this last point regarding 16G is only a comment, I don't know that it is a real problem.)
- Regarding overall performance, the biggest gains are to be made by running the CPU faster, i.e. overclocking the CPU. In general, memory speed and timings only have second order effects. This is another perspective of why you should select you memory size based on application needs, not performace.

I think I would tend to suggest 8G memory (4*2G) such as this G.Skill. Should you decide to investigate overclocking, this memory allows you flexibility to explore the easy to reach levels of overclocking (3G hz to 3.6Ghz) with your 9450. Yet if you don't overclock, I believe it will likely meet your application needs. :beer:

Awesome post, thanks. I haven’t had a chance to check the storage forum over the 640’s yet. I have a bit of conundrum going on with older raptor drives and budget. But I think I made up my mind today and will go with all new drives. My tech that will be putting this together just emailed me the same ram and said the same thing about 8gig Vs. 16gig. So 8gig it is. I originally planned for an octa core with a Tyan Tempest I5400XL stuffed with ram and two Xeon E5420's. Bt was persuaded out of it due to nehelam. Thanks again, deeppow. Appreciate it!

I have 640gb wd driver and it work fine, though not in raid. On the other hand board has problem with my dvd burner and couple of sata ports.

I hope my two year old pioneer works? Thanks for the heads up.

I run the 640's in Raid0 on the P5Q-deluxe. I have had no problems, even after switching the whaole array from an IP35-Pro board. If what you are talking about is the AAM problem and it beeing set to the lowest value, that is easily taken care of. Just read the thread in the Storage forum. It is easily done just by putting the drive in an existing system or there is a way to do it from a pre-o/s load.

Thanks, Pntgrd. That is what I was talking about (AAM) and will pass all this info onto my guy doing the build. I’ll go find the thread as I want to make sure he has all the info I can dig up for him so he doesn’t have to research it.

But his parts list just gave the P5Q-Pro instead of the PQ5-Deluxe. Not sure why when I asked him his opinion on the Deluxe. I understand there is a difference in phase power between the boards and the P5Q-Deluxe is the way to go with 16 phase power? I don’t want to over clock too much, but something a little less extreme than you guys do. I don’t have the skill sets to go in and figure out what is wrong and re-tweak it. It’s a work box and my workflow (income) depends on it.

I’m still not sure on the Vista-64 or XP-64? From what I’ve been reading, XP-64 still runs quicker than Vista. I own XP-64 but not sure about Adobe’s next release and it being supported. Errr….

This is his list, today, with the Pro board instead of the Deluxe.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 Quad Core Processor LGA775 2.66GHZ Yorkfield 1333FSB
12MB OEM No HSF

ASUS P5Q Pro ATX LGA775 P45 DDR2 2PCI-E16 Crossfire 3PCI-E1 2PCI SATA2 Sound
GBLAN eSATA Motherboard

G.SKILL F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK PC2-8500 4GB 2X2GB DDR2-1066 CL5-5-5-15 240PIN Dual
Channel Memory Kit

Western Digital Caviar SE16 640GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB Hard Drive OEM

Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro LGA775 2500RPM 45CFM
Am I goo to go? Can I buy the Deluxe board and still be good to go?

I can’t wait to get this running as I’ve been on a flaky A8n-Sli Deluxe board for a couple years….

Thanks again all. Hopefully order this up tomorrow!

Just read the thread in the Storage forum. It is easily done just by putting the drive in an existing system or there is a way to do it from a pre-o/s load.

Any idea where this thread is, Pntgrd? I've searched through a few pages. Thanks!

I just a built a similiar system with an 8800GT for a friend who uses it for much of the same thing you will use it for. Easy to OC to 3.2ghz with little or no voltage changes and runs cool with the Arctic 7 Pro. Performance has been awesome for these applications according to her and she has been extremely happy with it so I think you have made a good choice.

I just a built a similiar system with an 8800GT for a friend who uses it for much of the same thing you will use it for. Easy to OC to 3.2ghz with little or no voltage changes and runs cool with the Arctic 7 Pro. Performance has been awesome for these applications according to her and she has been extremely happy with it so I think you have made a good choice.

thanks, Craxbax. I can't wait either. I've been putting up with a marginal box for nearly three years. It has 4 x250 RAID O, A8N-SLI Deluxe, AMD 4400, 4 gigs of 400mgz on XP64. When it's re-built, it's sweet for a few months and then just degrades to a slug. It's only used for photoshop, isn't even plugged into the internet. It just gets turned on, used for work and turned off. I'm sick of it, been re-built 5 times by four diff people in almost three years. Everyones tried to find hard ware problems but it all comes up fine. Worse box I've ever had and can't stand computers that don't run properly...

Hi man, welcome to the forums.:beer:

I am pretty sure you are not going to get a NON server board to 16 gig. If you need that much RAM you might be better served buying a ZEON with a Supermicro or Tyan motherboard. The difference in price from the motherboard and chip will be made up from the lower priced 2gig non ECC RAM. (not all the boards require ECC)

Hi man, welcome to the forums.:beer:

I am pretty sure you are not going to get a NON server board to 16 gig. If you need that much RAM you might be better served buying a ZEON with a Supermicro or Tyan motherboard. The difference in price from the motherboard and chip will be made up from the lower priced 2gig non ECC RAM. (not all the boards require ECC)

thanks, Mike. Great forum here you guys have here, great signal to noise ratio. Many of the gamer forums I've tried to gleen info from in the past are filled with flame wars and people responding like it's a text mssg.

The P5Q Deluxe states it can take 16 gig. In a previous ost above I mentioned i almostbuilt an 8 core with tyan tempest board and 16 gig with the hopes of going 32 gig within a year or so. I so can't wait for CS4 and its 64-bit release. I spend so much time watching paint dry.

Well, i am slightly surprised. I think i will change motherboards. Apparently all the P43 45 Mobo's will run up to 16 GIG. I like this guy because of the price.
Asus P5QL-E Socket 775 Intel P43 + ICH10R . I am thinking 8 gigs for my SOlidworks program :bday:

Well, i am slightly surprised. I think i will change motherboards. Apparently all the P43 45 Mobo's will run up to 16 GIG. I like this guy because of the price.
Asus P5QL-E Socket 775 Intel P43 + ICH10R . I am thinking 8 gigs for my SOlidworks program :bday:

isn't the 'net great?! how easy is solidworks to learn? i bought it but a business plan went south. just simple stuff, like bicycle hubs and cranks? when i get spare time, i'd love to draw stuff up. i use old school manual lathes and mills everyday.

Its not all that bad. I can now draw and extrude geometries. I am working on more complex assemblies now. Once i can build and assemble multiparted drawings, i will consider myself learned :screwy:

I am actually getting a brother forum member to do something for me since my skill level is not that great yet.

Back